squeeling question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

squeeling question

Post by CarMan1 »

my car starts up and squeels, and then sometimes stops... Then when i put it in gear it starts squeeling again... changed the belts, altinator, any ideas? im thinking maybe water pump? any of u guys had this problem? car doesnt heat up tho so i dont think thats what it is...

im running out of ideas, and i dont have the kind of money to keep guessing... blown almost 400$ fixing things in the past 2 weeks, since i paid 2 grand to have the transmission rebuilt... if anyone is lookin for a very nice Mx-3 leme know, its a sohc but the swap is super easy, and ud have a new transmission... (5 speed)

neways, im running out of money and hope. lemek now... thanks guys

also, im in Indiana....
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

hey i was haveing the same problem just fixed it today this may sound werid but my father in law is a mechanic and hey had me take a bar of soap and rub it on the underside of the belts and on one of the pulley on either belt and start up the car squeeling stoped the belts just need to be conditioned or you can use bicycle gresse or a bar of wax either way works just after you first add some wait a day and do it one more time and it will stop the squeeling
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Sometimes its not even a matter of replacing the belts. I just had to tighten mine, and the squeal went away.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea just keep tightening them until they stop...
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, i was outside playing with em, tightened em... they still squeal, also the pully on my altinator gets so hot that it is starting to turn the metal nearest it colors... haha never seen this before, u guys got ne ideas? im bout out , its a brand new altinator btw
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Its always possible for a belt to be too tight.. It will squeal then too..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

the problem is the belts arent that tight, they're just on there.. i tightened em a little bit, but... to no prevail... any other ideas?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If your alternator is getting that hot.. I would try upgrading your ground straps to better ones than stock. I have seen a post where someone had a similar problem and solved it by running a ground wire to the alternator where it bolts to the block on the backside of the engine.

Tunes67
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

There are several thinks to consider.

Too tight is as bad as to loose when it come to belt squeeling. Plus it causes damage to the crankshaft, waterpump and alternator bearings. To tight will also cause the alternator to get hot and fail because you putting stress on the bearings and shaft journal.

The brand of belts can make a difference. I have found that the Goodyear Gatorback brand are the worst for for squeeling. Change to a Dayco or Gates and went away immediately.

Are you sure you do not have a worn out pulley somewhere? If the groove has become dished out in the sides then a new belt won't have enough contact surface to drive the accessory.

Are you sure you are tightening the right belt? Are you sure it is not the P/S, A/C belt

Just because something is new doesn't mean it is not defective.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

yeh im sure its not the belt, i have 2 different belts, each from a diff manufacturer.. they still squeel... sometimes itll squeel then stop, other times itll keep going and not stop.. quickly running out of ideas... ill try to ground the altinator and see what happens...altho isnt there a stock ground?
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

If it is the belt watch out. I replaced my old ones recently, and the damn place did it wrong, and used crappy belts. (goodyear gatorbacks are horrible). I was driving, and it started to squeel, then snapped. I had to leave it somewhere and tow it the next day.
God I hate goodyear :roll:
If at all possible, get mazda oem belts.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”