volts gauge wiring??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

volts gauge wiring??

Post by Joey's mx »

What is the best place to wire up a volts gauge?? My guess would be the altenator plug?? Were would be the best place to get the most acurate reading??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You should be able to wire it to any switched +12.. you could hook it directly to the battery.. but then it would always be on as well.. Might consider going off of the switched "light" wire off of the alternator.. there are 2 wires in a plug on the alternator.. one is +12 always on. This is the Sensor wire. The second wire is only hot when the key is in the Run position.. this is the Alternator Idiot light wire and is also +12v. Hope this helps. ( I would avoid tapping a connection that has a large intermediate load on a +12v wire.. like a Stereo Amp.. your gauge would fluctuate every time your bass hit.) Good Luck.

Tunes67
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I've seen a lot of people tap into their cigarette lighter plug wires.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

The White/Green wire coming from the alternator harness would be a good wire to splice into.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I wouldn't go to the trouble installing wiring into the engine bay. You can pick up a good 12V for the readings on the power supply to the inside fuse box. Its a good size wire so won't be affected by load very much. You can also pick up the switched supply in the same vicinity (so it won't be on all the time) and power for the illumination bulb.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

The White/Green wire coming from the alternator harness would be a good wire to splice into
Can anyone back that up?? Is that the correct wire i should splice into??
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The white / green wire goes from the alternator, supplies the EGI main relay, goes through the Fuel Injector fuse and the directly to the battery - so yes that wire would be OK. Don't forget to fuse it though.

Theres lots of wires you can use though, as I said earlier I wouldn't bother running wires all the way to the engine bay when theres just as good supplies at the fuse box under the dash.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”