Clicking noise

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaownz

Clicking noise

Post by mazdaownz »

Ok i have had this problem for way too long and have had no idea how to fix it and even what it is, when i am driving (generally after the engine has warmed up a bit) the car makes a clicking sound. Before it was only when i went over bumps in the road but now it is all the time, and not only can i hear it but every time it clicks I can also feel it when my foot is touching the floor.

Not only does it worry me but it is driving me crazy :twisted: , if anyone knows what it might be please, please, please help me.

Thank you
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Assuming from your description that the clicking is in synch with the wheels rotating, sounds like a worn CV joint (constant velocity joint on the end of the half axle). These extend from your tranny out to each front wheel hub and they can go on making noise like that for quite some time but do need replacing as they become worse. The passenger side outer CV normally wears out more frequently than the driver side because it's longer and so travels further/receives more wear when the car goes thru turns.

The splined ends of each CV joint are also encased in a flexible rubber boot that holds lubricating grease. Over time these boots can develop cracks from age or get cut by road debris allowing the lubricant to leak out. When this happens, CV joint wear is accelerated. You may have noticed the noise first when going over road irregularities since the CV joint angle changes as your suspension moves. Now that it's worn more over time, you're hearing it under all driving conditions.

Replacing the CV half axle, usually with a remanufactured one, is the only solution. You can do the repair yourself although getting the old one out can be frustrating. Typical parts cost for a reman half axle is <$100 and repair cost for your local mech to do the job (parts & labor) shouldn't exceed $200 and is usually closer to $150 per CV half axle. If only the CV on one side of the car is worn, that is all that needs replacement. There is no compelling reason to replace the one on the other side unless you hear noises there too or have torn CV boots. Good luck and btw, this is a common repair on all front wheel drive cars and even more common if the car has been lowered, especially if lowered beyond ~1.5" which can put additional stresses on the CV joints.
Image -Jim
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

thogh it may very well be the cv, I have only heard them clicking when turning. My guess would be wheel bearing or strut bearing. Again it is my guess...so knowone harp on me about my tech advise :wink: :D
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I've had to replace a few CV joints, and in my experience, I only got that clicking noise when I turned. So yeah, I'm with 93SOHC on this one.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I've had worn CV's make noise under all kinds of conditions, usually starts when turning, but also can happen when accelerating, decelerating, coasting etc. Could be a bearing here though. Easy enough to raise each corner of the car and check for wheel play to get a better idea.
Image -Jim
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not going to be a strut bearing they only click when turning, it is either a wheel bearing (at usual milage on a MX-3 you should need new ones) or a axle, they will click when accelerating if worn (kinda feels like running over a real big pebble over and over again)(which is the same sort of feel you get from a bad wheel bearing, but the bearing can be checked by jacking up the car and trying to twist the wheel: with one hand at top and one at bottom, twist up and down, if it moves much at all then new ones are needed, make sure lugs are tight before jacking it up as this can also cause a funny clicking vibration or allow you to twist the wheel without a bad bearing
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
sheridanmx3

Post by sheridanmx3 »

yep cv joint replaced min a couple time allready

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”