Just got a mx3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

well i didnt think they could f--- up trying to put some tires on. i thought they had a liite more knoledge than that
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

also i want to install and oil pressure gauge. i got one already that i am not using its got all the hardware. is there a place already on the car i can intsall it or am i going to have to tap my own hole?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

no has put a oil pressure gauge in there mx3?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

ok the check engine lite driving me crazy. I dont like it on. Code 3 is distrubuter. What could be wrong with the distributer. the car runs and drives fine except for the sputtering(occasionally around 2500-3500). so its not that the distributer isnt sparking. what else can go wrong that would set off the code 3?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

except for the sputtering(occasionally around 2500-3500)
This is a classic symptom of the distributor on its way down.. add to it that your are getting a Code 3 and its pretty much confirmed. At least if this was going on with my car.. I would start looking for a distributor. Got a buddy with a spare you can borrow to check with? A little while back I thought I had a distributor issue (turned out the previous owner didnt have the rotor fully seated) and I checked around for prices on a distributor for a 94 DOHC 1.6L.. I didnt like what I found.. Even junkyards around here wanted $125 for one.. I did find I could get a remanufactured one for around $180.. which I was about to do when a final check of the distributor shaft revealed no play in the shaft as I feared I would find. (I wasnt getting a code 3 either) But my idle was very rough (later found to be caused by a burned valve.. long story LOL) so I was ready to point my finger at a worn distributor shaft since I had seen this occur on more than a few other cars. A new distributor was listing for $300 or so. The remanufactured one I found at a Napa store and it came with a 1 year warranty whereas the junkyard would give no warranty at all.. I figured the extra $55 was worth it plus the shaft would have at least been gone through & cleaned up. Assuming that code 3 is indeed the distributor code (I havent checked) And you have that sputtering.. I would get a new distributor before you end up stuck someplace. Just my 2 cents.

Tunes67
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

are you sure nothing else could set off the code 3 cause the check engine lite has been on for atleast a year that i know of.
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

any one?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I just checked the Code.. Code 3 is the G-signal code for the distributor. Its positive man. And even with it having problems it could still be working. However.. its only a matter of time before it craps out altogether. Which if this happens at a bad time.. could leave you stranded on the freeway.. good luck man.

Tunes67
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

alright guess i'll start looking around for one. thanks
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

ok i got one for you guys. started my car up backed up and slammed on the brakes and it died. cause i didnt push the clutch in i tohught. went to start it all it did was crank over and kinda sputter. checked for spark was there on all 4 can smell fuel maybe its flooded gonna try and start it tommorrow. but i dont see how it would of gotten flooded the first time. any one got any ideas?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

92rsmx-3 wrote:no has put a oil pressure gauge in there mx3?
get under the car and pull the oil pressure dummy light from the back of the block, take it to the hardware store and get a nipple extention and a t, then put the extention ont he block, then the t then your old sensor and the hook up for the gauges, thats what i did on my RS in a nutshell
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

92rsmx-3 wrote:ok i got one for you guys. started my car up backed up and slammed on the brakes and it died. cause i didnt push the clutch in i tohught. went to start it all it did was crank over and kinda sputter. checked for spark was there on all 4 can smell fuel maybe its flooded gonna try and start it tommorrow. but i dont see how it would of gotten flooded the first time. any one got any ideas?
try replacing the water temp sensor, not the single wire that is easy to get to, its between the 2 outer most runner on the itnake manifold on the passenget side, that sensor was the cause of my rs having flooding issues at random and sometimes sputtering at points in teh rpm band
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

alright i'll try after work thanks man
91 Taurus... SHO - died
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

get under the car and pull the oil pressure dummy light from the back of the block, take it to the hardware store and get a nipple extention and a t, then put the extention ont he block, then the t then your old sensor and the hook up for the gauges, thats what i did on my RS in a nutshell
is the sensor next to the oil filter?
91 Taurus... SHO - died
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

My engine light is on, and this is what I got when I put in on a computer..
"Fuel rail malfunction bank #1".. too bad it's a 4banger, and there's only one bank. They weren't sure if it was a ghost code, or what, because apparently my car isn't communicating properly. Even trying to get the codes manually didn;t work (10 and grnd).. they think it might be the o2 sensors. When I asked about it, i was told that if the o2 sensors aren't working right, the computer will bypass them altogether and just run a set air/fuel mixture that's within normal parameters. Any thoughts?
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”