First post - just dropped off my car

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Chronicle-Rod

First post - just dropped off my car

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

92 MX-3 GS, dropped off at FX Designs in Edmonton. Getting the VSX kit, with the Ram Air hood, Altezza tails and...last, but I suppose not least, new fenders.

New as in brand new - he's going to use my fenders to fabricate a new mould of Z3-style fender. I guess, for at least a little while, I'll have something unusual :D

As soon as it comes out of the body shop, it hits the paint booth. I'm still torn between going a few shades lighter and brighter red, with ghosted flames in the original paint - or going with something totally different...more like THIS. House of Kolor has something that looks like that, might go with it instead :D

I want lambo doors, anyone have someone reputable that isn't charging outrageously for them?
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

id go with a red over green. also there is another thread about lambo doors you should check out, they are fairly cheap.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

wow, wish i could do everything at once like that. anyways, good luck with it all and i say the red would look better than the green but it's all a matter of tastes.

welcome to the board.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I wouldnt get no flames or any exotic colors done on it, keep it clean or else when you see people pointing at your car it will be for the wrong reason. But if you like it then thats up to you
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Simple, understated, not over done, not in your face, slightly subdued with a hint of Euro a splash of the Orient and some good old balls to the wall, kick as punch under the hood. In other words, a highly respected sleeper.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......zoom....zoom....zoom.................LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

The car, unless I go with the limegreen colour, isn't going to be garish or anything - the flames will be very subtle, something you wouldn't notice unless you looked at the car from fairly close while it's not in motion.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

green color?? yuck, unless you want to make it look like frog, that green mx3 looks like horny frog, no offense.
2nd.. dont do flames, its hot rod, flames of any kind dont look on mx3
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

Flames are "hot rod"? Give me a break - I think it's a cool look, and they don't have to be as 'in your face' as they were on the old metal.

Go to a car show - just about any car show - and you'll see flames and other wild paint jobs. Doing a flat paint job is fine if you're going for a simple look, but for someone who want something that'll stand out AND can afford it, why belittle it? Because you can't do it?

Everyone gets their own opinion, and their opinion is really all that matters when it's their car.

I asked for input, so feel free to say "I don't like..." about anything I want to do to my car, offer advice on other ways to do it or other things to consider - but don't ever say "don't" or act like your opinion is considered a fact anywhere but in your own head unless you're going to pay for the work.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

have you looked into candy colours? i think that would look awsome if you did that, and then the ghosted flames would show through the candy paint.
good luck, post pics when you get it back from the shop.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
happyclown

Post by happyclown »

i'd go with a deep dark blood red and make it really glossey/shiney...

i really like that body kit your putting on there, hopefully i'll be able to save the money up to get one this summer, or maybe get it installed in the winter... but i plan on painting it .. i think its called creek blue... its the really dark dark blue that almost looks black, and i plan to make it really glossy...

what kind of look are you going for? casuse that limegreen is screaming "im a dummy with money who's watched F&F too many times" i have a friend who painted his car (1g Talon TSI AWD Turbo) a limegreen like that thinking it would be cool, but he said it got old quick ...
the red flames make me think "hey i got flames wanna race!" but... if your going for intimidation (sp), then a paint job like that with that kit would really do it.

Take pics when your done.... i wanna see how it turns out
1993 RS Teal
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

It'll be House of Kolors, so they have a pretty decent selection of candy colours. The guy doing the work is really, really talented - he's won awards for his work on vehicles, snowmobiles, custom-built bikes and helmets, so getting him nailed down to do the car was awesome. Don't worry - there'll be pictures. I took pictures at the shop before I left...one last look at it before it gets changed over :D

Here's some of the shots, the light wasn't great in there though, so they're pretty grainy:

Front
Front angle
Rear angle
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

The F&F thing doesn't bother me - the only reason people associate the lime green with that is because he had a car that colour. If he'd had a yellow car, people would be saying the same thing about that colour instead. I think it's eye-catching, which is really the whole point. Why do all this to your car if it's not to make people say "DAMN, lookit that thing!" when it rolls by.

"the red flames make me think "hey i got flames wanna race!" but... if your going for intimidation (sp), then a paint job like that with that kit would really do it."

That's why they would just be ghosted, not the 'in your face' style. If I want to race, I'll bring out the Firebird or, better yet, jump in with a buddy who has a '67 Camaro rigged solely for drag racing.

As to why ghosting is a strong contender - a friend had a Mustang, prior to it meeting a deer, that was painted flat black with a flat gray ghost flame along the front. You couldn't see the flames at all from over six feet away, unless the light was hitting it juuuust right. It was an awesome looking car.

Another friend is after me to do the ghost flames, but also have some pearl in the ghosted paint, so they'll be somewhat noticeable in the light.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Sounds like your going for all show. Are you gonna drop a ze in so that the car will perform like it looks like it should? A ze mx3 will likely be faster then your firebird.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I agree, no offense, but flames are more for hot rods or American Muscle cars because they were the first to come up with that. This may sound stupid but its the truth, V8s got the attitude for flames.

Then again, they look alright on some imports (except the decal flames). As long as there not all flashy. So keep them ghosted

Since you are asking for our opinions,
I dont like that bodykit. As far as the front bumper goes I think its ugly unless you are going for that MEAN look.
Have you considered the Mazda Speed or the BC2 bodykit?
Because let me tell you, that front bumper dosent go with the front of the car that well.

And as for the color of the car. Its ugly, stick with blue, black, red or dark blue.
Some cars look great in certain colors. Mustangs look great in yellow, so do corvettes. black looks great on many cars same with dark blue. But green dosent look good.

Seriously though, if your going to go with the mean look, why not paint it black or dark blue?

But then again, your going for ghosted flames. Change the headlights for some Civic headlights and I may have a very different opinion on the color. Also, I think the green on the pic of that car should be darker.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

It's primarily for show - not to race - but it'll be quick anyway. It's got the 1.8L, and I'm looking for a 2.5 that will be turboed. Finding one will be the problem apparently, judging by the threads around here.

"I agree, no offense, but flames are more for hot rods or American Muscle cars because they were the first to come up with that. This may sound stupid but its the truth, V8s got the attitude for flames.

Then again, they look alright on some imports (except the decal flames). As long as there not all flashy. So keep them ghosted"

That's one reason why, as I've said a couple times now, they'll be ghosted - not garish.

The 'they were the first to come up with that' argument is kind of weak, since they were also the first to have a lot of paintjobs - many of which have been done BETTER on later cars.

The attitude to back up your paint? I don't know - unless your paintjob includes a sign that says 'My car is faster than yours', what are you really 'backing up' at all?

The bodykit - I like the front, it's aggressive and different from everything else I see on the streets.

As for the colour, well - if you don't like it, oh well. I think it's more eyecatching and a lot more original than the horde of red/black/blue cars that I see. Like I said before - why pour money into a car so it'll stand out in looks and performance only to get a paintjob that makes it blend back in?

Return to “Appearance”