RX7 VAF and Protege resonator on a 1.6 SOHC MX3 (PICS)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

We're all typing at the same time here...

The part about the resonator affecting the vaf makes sense, at least in theory.

Hell, if it works, keep it on. If it doesnt, take it off.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
pedro

Post by pedro »

Typhoonk wrote:
Basically it takes the noise the air makes when going in, and cancells some of it out so it is quiet-er. As for performance, the resonance of a frequency in a air intake has too many factors to play with - but that's why you see those intake inserts and stuff with the fan blades in em, so you can get performance out of resonacne science - it's just freak'n complicated!!! :lol:
it make sense...but I suppose that you need the exact resonator for a specific engine or intake setup ...like with muffler, to illiminate most of the sound it need to be specifically tuned to certain frequency

*sorry for my english :P
rukick

Post by rukick »

Typhoonk wrote:where'd you get the tube that goes from the Throttle body to the Maf? I need one that has the IAC tube connection, and the crank case connection? Where'd you get it!!!???!?
That piece was part of an ebay cai intake that I cut up with a hack saw. It was about twice as long when I got it. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 16059&rd=1

Here is a picture of this setup from the back:

I think that resonator adds about 6 lbs of boost. Well maybe not, but there will be no feelable losses of power on my watch.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
pedro

Post by pedro »

rukick wrote: I think that resonator adds about 6 lbs of boost. Well maybe not, but there will be no feelable losses of power on my watch.
6lbs of boost would be a major, and I mean a HUGE power gain ... its not a turbo its only a box of plastic... it doesnt add any boost
rukick

Post by rukick »

That was a joke :roll:
Turbo 94 Protege LX
pedro

Post by pedro »

rukick wrote:That was a joke :roll:
just needed to be sure ...you know sometime :roll:
rukick

Post by rukick »

I hear ya brother. Some people think that adding stickers to your car gives it boost. :lol:
Turbo 94 Protege LX
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

shup foo, I added 5 f-in NOS stickerzzz and I gotz me a SHITLOAD of boost from em!!!111one

VINYL ADDS HP!!!

hehe... :roll:
rukick

Post by rukick »

I figured out another benefit for using the resonator if you are going to use the stock intake tube with the RX7 VAF. The RX7 VAF will not mate with the stock intake tube because the VAF is too big on the engine side. The resonator will mate with the stock intake tube on the engine side and to the RX7 VAF on the other. You can use the resonator to connect the 2. So if you don't have a custom intake that goes all the way to the throttle body you can still use the RX7 VAF.
Turbo 94 Protege LX

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”