altenator pulley removal??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

altenator pulley removal??

Post by Joey's mx »

What is the easiest way the take off the pulley from a altenator??
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

impact/ air gun. It should have been installed w/ some sort of thread locker, so it won't be easy to get off by hand. I am trying to figure another way at the moment, as I have a GS alternator for my RS and need to swap the pulleys, so if I find another way i'll post it :)
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

How are you hloding the pulley from turning??
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I worked in an auto parts machine shop, and we swapped them all the time. Just take a shop rag and holg the pulley, and give it a good rap w/ the impact, I gaurentee it will break free as the gun has so much power. If starts to spin, stop and try again. Use short bursts
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Cool thanks for the help i got it off!!

P.S. the gs altenator will bolt right up to the b6 block?? And how much more ampage does it have??

Thanks again
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

You get an extra 20 amps or so. I havent actually compared them side by side, but from what everyone here is sayin all you gotta do is swap the pulleys. I took that advise and got one from 2fazed for cheap, but have yet to install it. I wish it wasn't freakin snowing right now :x
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey Joey.. what engine do you have? SOHC or DOHC? I am curious how you this little mod works out for you guys..

Tunes67
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

I have a DOHC!! I will let you know how it goes as soon as i get it all installed!!
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

hey what are you guys planning on doing with the old alternators? I think i might be needing one very very soon....
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I think i might be needing one very very soon....

Heh.. why do you think I am interested in this topic LOL I have read about others saying the GS alternator would work.. but here is someone thats actually doing it.. if it works.. I am getting me a GS one ;) Extra amperage in your ride is kinda like MTV & sex.. too much is never enough ;)

Tunes67
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

if this white crap ever melts i'll be throwin mine on soon, will post pics and conclusions prolly about 2 or 3 weeks.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Any updates on this yet guys? I picked up a GS alternator at the junkyard last week.. and though my current Alternator has apparently checked out as fine.. Would still like to know how this is working out for you guys before I decide to swap alternators. TIA

Tunes67
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

I should have mine in a couple days...but wont be running my car being that the engine is still in 50 pieces!!
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

The RS alternator is rated at 65-70 amps. The GS is rated at 90 amps. Almost everyone who I have seen with this mod done on an RS says they don't have a problem with their lights dimming when pressing on the brake or turning up the heater.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”