BP swap concerns and questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
m92_MX3

BP swap concerns and questions

Post by m92_MX3 »

alright well i have been thinking about this for a wile and i know i really want to do the swap but i have been searching and reading alot and i have some thoughts that i would like some anwers to so here i go.

when i buy my motor i need to get the ECU but where is the ECU at ?

is it hard to configure the new ECU or is it like when you see it you know what do to with it ?

doall the connetors fit in or around the same place ? or am i going to have to configure a whole new way to run things?

and when do i pull all of the conectors off ? when its out of the bay a little or am i going to have to guess where they all are and find them ?

what all do i need to take off the motor before i pull the old motor out?

i read somplace about swaping alternator pullys. why ?

clutch, when i buy a new one do i buy it for myB6 or my BP or does it not matter because i didnt switch trannys ?

can i use my cold air intake off my old motor on my new one ?

well i am sure i will think of some more but any infor you have would help alot, and is there any other things i should be concernd about ?

Thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

You havent even looked at all for these answers yet.. have you?

Search this same forum and your answers will come.

Type BP Swap into the search and there you go.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

Its not a stroll in the park. Prep for it before anything. Get ALL your parts (ecu, harness,etc.) The harness is pretty much easy, if it doesnt fit it doesnt go there. Almost everything has its own specific plug. Save the time and hassle and get the bp ecu and harness, and injector harness. If your using the g-series tranny you have to flip the rear tranny mount bolt or else your shift linkage wont clear and you'll have 3 gears. Before you do anything check out the motor and make sure your crank pulleys have the same key and are the same type of belt, unless you wanna have to spend the extra money on stupid pulleys. Do everything while the motor is out of the engine bay, much easier. Other than that everything should be fine man, its not too bad once its over and its an awesome learning experience. An extra set of hands would help also. Take it easy and good luck. Peace
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah you're gonna NEED a buddy for it... other than that, with proper tools, it's not actually that hard to swap as long as you make sure NOT to listen to TyphoonK :P

Get air tools to take off the axle nuts, or have a mechanic loosen them (and snug em up again so they don't fall off) before you drive the car to wherever you do the swap.

I'm still working on getting my swapped engine working right, 3 1/2 weeks after I started my swap... stupid vacuum leak somewhere... very aggravating. A month without MX action.... it's been tough man :P
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

thanks so far, i have searched and it never gives me a forward remark and i have read alot but still those are the things i am unsure of but thankss for your help so far
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

well, figure out what you're asking about BEFORE you start... and make SURE you have good access to the tools you'll need, otherwise things'll suck. Other than that, it's a relatively straightforward swap. Getting it to work perfectly might not be however... good luck!
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

well i have had good experiences with my swap. everything was straight forward. just have everything ready and you should be fine.
bp mx-3
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah.... you're a lucky bastard for that... I'm still hunting down a vacuum leak somewhere.... :P
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

matt_fulghum wrote:yeah.... you're a lucky bastard for that... I'm still hunting down a vacuum leak somewhere.... :P
on the passenger side of the engine, there are two little outlets that weren't open on the stock engine.... did you check those?
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

yeah, duhhh :P

I've been talking with the guys at clubprotege. BPT323 thinks it may be a gunked HLA holding a valve open slightly. Either that or I've got a very very tiny gasket leak. Woe is me. I ordered new gaskets so I'll install em when they come in... in the mean time I'm gonna run some seafoam through the lifters to see if I can clean em out a bit... I'd rather not remove the cams and everything if I can avoid it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”