What do you think is a better car and why do you?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

What's do you think is better RS or GS?

RS
55%
GS
45%

Total votes: 22

TrickMX-3

What do you think is a better car and why do you?

Post by TrickMX-3 »

What one is better RS or GS and why?
DVH

Post by DVH »

Thats a tuff one.......being stock, the exterior of the GS looks better than the RS...and the GS has a power sunroof........but as for which one would i want, the RS, just better for turbo...im my opinion. I know that the V6 can be turboed too, but the RS is easier and can get more power in my opinion...plus i hve the RS...hahahha
Derek Van Horne MX-3.com Member # 33
94 MX-3 Silver Stone Metallic CAR is SOLD
Car Domain Web page MX-3
Car Domain Web page SRT-4
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Both are great cars.. The RS is fun and slightly sport and has decent fuel economy. The GS is more of the true sports car, lower fuel economy but more power. I wouldnt say either is better than the other, it depends on what you want from the car as to whether or not its "Better" for any given person.
I will say that the rear disc brakes on the GS should have been available on the RS ;)

Tunes67
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Well, I've got both. I would say the GS, cause I enjoy the power options like the sunroof, windows, and cruise control. Not having to deal with drum pads is great too.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

dont some rs's come with power options? mine do, power sunroof, windows, locks.
-Steve
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

i like the rs model. yeah the gs has the disc breaks in the rear, a factory spoiler, etc. but it also comes stock with the smallest v-6 ever made. but my true reason is i am a 4-banger fan at heart.

ps-my rs has a sunroof too
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Well since ive only driven my rs id have to go with an rs, but i am with Tunes on this one i wish thew rs came with disc brakes. Drums look like a-- behind a set of rims.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

well its all about car, theres actually no better one, GS looks better stock, RS has better fuel economy... gotta count all the little things to sum up which car is better, both have klze/bpt swap.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

my answer is the GS.. although in the UK none of them are badged GS or RS or whatever.. its just an MX-3.. V6 or not really.. the 1.6 inline-4's dont have a badge to say they're a 1.6 / 4 potter

I vote GS, purely because of that engine.. Mazda made it because it would be smooth, and man it suuuuure is! absolute silk, 8) and nothing can touch a V for the noise it makes, -apart from a bigger V, :lol: 8)

I spose the GS might actually be a heavier car though, with all the extra electric items and stuff.... :shock: but they still corner amazingly well, I must say... :) very enjoyable car
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

I have owned both, a gs and a 92 SOHC 4 banger and they are both excellent. Obviously the GS is much faster and has that Harmonic sounding v6 and has the leather and roof options. The 4 banger cost me nothing other than basic maintenace and ran up to 300,000km b4 a truck killed it. My 4 had an aftermarket manual roof. I havent owned either of my GS's longer than 40,000km so cant say much about long term reliability. Both great cars but the 4 banger had that special feeling as it was my first car (I miss it) :D
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Tunes67 wrote:
Both are great cars.. The RS is fun and slightly sport and has decent fuel economy. The GS is more of the true sports car, lower fuel economy but more power.
I will say that the rear disc brakes on the GS should have been available on the RS ;)

Tunes67
Interestingly my 1998 RS came WITH rear disc brakes!! I was aware the RS wasn't supposed to have them, but here was an RS with rear Discs! Needless to say, that was a powerful factor in my deciding to purchase my Brilliant Black RS - dubbed "Blackbird" - because it reminds me of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Aircraft. :wink:

It's difficult to choose which car is better. Both have their merits as pointed out by Tunes67! Right on the money!
However, I thought the RS to be a better choice for me :D if only because of the better fuel economy and the fact that I had "done speedin" and wanted a slightly more sedate cruiser that would still turn heads. Trying to avoid the automotive equivalent of a "Darwin Award" for going too fast and becoming one with an immovable object - I decided to apply for a "Cock-a-doodle-do" award instead :shock: , purchasing the RS. And Guess what? Speed wise, the damn thing still has the potential to terminate me for going too fast. It is shockingly stable at speeds of over 90 miles an hour - and will go faster still. Sadly, with the sounds of CHICKEN....!!!! ringing in my ears, I slow down to legal limits. Boo Hiss! Still I vote RS. Affordable, very reliable engine, low maintenance costs. But chill you GS guys. This RS wants to be a GS when he grows up. And he's like past 40 years old already!! 8)
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
TrickMX-3

I didnt know

Post by TrickMX-3 »

I thought they didnt make MX-3's after 96' damn i dont know much huh. Well as far as i know mines an rs and it has a power sunroof but its a piece right now because its not sitting in properly and wont work right so it leaks and with this weather it blows. I've got a little technical problem to ask some of you guys, alright the other day i wanted to see how much power my 94' RS so i did a burnout but i have a manual switch to turn on my radiator fan and when i turn it on my car likes to get below 1 on my tach. and its a pain, but long story short i didnt turn it on and i did the burn out and afterwards it sounded like my coolant was boiling i dont know what it was any of you know any idea about any of this let me i'd appreciate it alot thanks.
Thunderstorm

Re: I didnt know

Post by Thunderstorm »

TrickMX-3 wrote:I thought they didnt make MX-3's after 96' damn i dont know much huh.
Actually, the MX-3 was made right up till April 1998 I believe.
The 1997 / 1998 MX-3 were sold in Europe - among other places.
It also appears the spec for the RS Models was actually slightly different form the earlier 1.6i DOHC models.

My 1998 RS came with most if not all "Electric Extras" - same as the GS has. Electric windows, Central locking, Power Sun Roof, Rear windscreen wiper with washer facility, RDS CD Unit with 4 speakers, Air conditioning was an optional extra.

I found out my 1998 RS has rear disc brakes for the same reason!

Just for the record, last weekend I acquired from Ebay the 1997/1998 UK Sales Brochure for the MX-3. I was most delighted to discover that there were a few extras in the final MX-3 RS Coupes, but, most car manufacturers do that with final editions anyway.

I will be happy to scan every page of the brochure and post it on MX-3.com - subject to the administrators approval of course..... :)
I can confirm this brochure does not exist on our site at the moment.

I am particularly intrigued by the fact that my RS allegedly has a 110HP 1.6i DOHC engine in it. (That's what thew sales brochure says.... :shock: )
I am curious; is this the same 1.6i DOHC engine installed in the Mazda MX-5 Base model? The HP is identical.

TrickMX-3, re; your boiling coolant, your thermostat may be on the way out - or in the process of progressive failure.
When you get that fixed, check your coolant temp sensors too.
You should not need to use manual overide switches.
If all those are OK, you may need to check your wiring.

Hope I understood you right, just trying to help OK?
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”