Mazdaspeed Miata Headlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Neil

Mazdaspeed Miata Headlights

Post by Neil »

Anyone know any canadian or american companys that carry these? Im afraid to phone mazda and ask them how much they are... The black housing miata lights would look sweet on an MX-3 and this summer if i can find them i will be doing it! I just dont wanna buy them from Mazda
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Taras

Post by Taras »

Get the regular ones, rip them apart and spray away with a flat black high heat paint.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

I didnt think spray paint would stick to the stock chrome stuff
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Scuff it a bit with a 400 grit wet sand then spray it, regular paint will work fine. The headlamps don't get hot enough to do anything to the paint. Just make sure to let it completely cure before you put them back together.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Taras

Post by Taras »

I think a Halogen Projector running at close to 80deg C is pretty hot. Its called outgassing when fumes from the piant cause a milky coating. On optical components less than desirable. Use BBQ high heat paint. It has less fumes. But I would still pre-cure the painted surfaces in the oven to make sure before final assembly.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Neil

Post by Neil »

pre-cure? do you mean to paint the housings than put them in the oven, than put them in the oven again with the lenses?

i think just so i dont have to go through all this i might juste bite my tongue and get the MS black ones. After pulling apart the stock mx3 headlights the sealent is so goey and annoying i dont wanna have to do it with the Miata headlights when i get them.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Pre-cure. Bake them at lower heat, but for longer. Just the houdings, no lenses or optical components.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Question for you, The MX5 gen2 or Mita's as they are known in the US.

Do the head lights fit in the MX3 with little to no hassles, im not worried
about wiring as im building a complete new loom for the mx3
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Some bodywork will be required.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

a personal preference of mine on painting parts is the ceramic engine paints. duplicolor makes an awesome line of them and i have worked with them a lot. just make sure you wash then scuff up the area first before primer (use ceramic primer too). i used it on some of my interior pieces as well. tough as hell.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yes, I agree I used all duplicolor in my interior and I didnt sand or prime anything and it turned out great and it very hard to scratch. definatly recommend duplicolor.
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

Hey didlin, didnt you just do that civic projector swap? ....Why did you decide to put in miata headlights if you dont mind me asking
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
Neil

Post by Neil »

TekPmp wrote:Hey didlin, didnt you just do that civic projector swap? ....Why did you decide to put in miata headlights if you dont mind me asking
Look at my signature :cry: My old mx-3 had an unfortunate accident in November which led to demise of my civic projectors. I got another mx-3 now and have decided i want to do the Miata swap.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”