AHHH!! HELP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
thackerhacker

AHHH!! HELP

Post by thackerhacker »

i have a 1992 mx-3 1.6.........my clutch is slipping.........it might be low hydraulic fluid.........i think it needs a new clutch.......is there any how to guides on how i should do this??
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

Well check the fluid and see if its low its right under hte hood infront of the drivers side cant miss it.
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

my clutch slipped even when I bought it... it's a good excuse for a BP swap :P
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

I really have no idea what your asking us..... A guide how to replace a clutch? A guide how to add the fluid/change the fluid? Also, what do you mean you "think" the clutch is slipping? Is it slipping or are you taking a stab in the dark? Need more info :?
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
thackerhacker

Post by thackerhacker »

i never said think slipping............i said it is slipping..........and i checked the fluid and it is alright...........so i was wondering if there was a guide on how to remove and replace a clutch for 1992 mx-3 1.6........thanks for the quick replies and all the help
thackerhacker

Post by thackerhacker »

also i am poor and goin to college and just need this car for transportation nothing special.........just to work and school pretty much........i am just gonna use a replacement clutch if that is what is needed...........the whole clutch kit for the local auto parts store about $150
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

if you're poor you're not gonna like the answer.... either pay a mechanic 800 bucks to replace it, or you gotta do it yourself.... you gotta pull the engine... sucks doesn't it? That's why I decided to do the engine swap... since I had to pull the engine anyway... but it's probably not worth it for you to swap if you're really poor (like I am now. 250 bucks left in my account... groan)

It's probably worth it to you to buy the clutch and an engine lift, and do it yourself if you have time to do it yourself.... you could save a LOT of cash.

btw... 150 bucks for a clutch kit is absolutely rediculous... I got mine for 100... and it's a good quality Exedy clutch.
thackerhacker

Post by thackerhacker »

well is there any guide to this anywhere?? and about how much time would it take? could i start sat morning and finish sun night??
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

LOL 800m bucks.. thats ridiculous.... haha do it yourself..its easy..get the manual .. doesnt the manual tell you how to do it? get a haynes manual for the ford probe gt and it tells you specifically how to do it. all you do basically is pull either engine and tranny or drop tranny, unbolt pressureplacte, remove flywheel, resirface, get the clutch kit, re alight using tool, reinstgall, alight with tranny..bingo. break it in.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Another one bites the dust...

The clutch is how I got started on this whole thing. Mine started making a bad racket when the pedal was depressed, and the engine was stalling. I took it to a mechanic and $1100 later it was still making noise and still not right. I took it back and he put in yet another whole clutch assy for free, and it was still not right (some of the noise was from the bottom of the engine).

That was when I decided to get back into doing my own repair. Then I decided to swap in a BP. Then I decided I wanted to rebuild the BP first. Then when I was installing the BP I found the supposedly new (supposedly replaced twice) pilot bearing was noisy as heck.

Now the clutch is perfect.

If you are looking for a "how to do it" guide, get a shop manual, or at least get the Chilton manual (there is no Haynes for our car). If you can't make sense of how to do it from the manual, there is no amount of help we can give you that will ensure you do it properly.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”