CF Question

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MarkMoore

CF Question

Post by MarkMoore »

what does 'Grade A' carbon fiber mean? are there Grades 'B' and 'C' as well? I'm guessing these letters denote the quality of the carbon fiber???

also, concerning CF hoods, are hood pins really necessary to have, or done mostly for looks? i've noticed that a lot of CF hoods have hood pins mounted on them, but never stopped to think about it really. But today i read that it is recommended to use hood pins to ensure the hood stays snug... Don't the CF hoods have a good enough latch to keep the hood secure? if not, why not just use the latch off of your old OEM hood (unless you planned on selling the OEM hood i guess)?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: CF Question

Post by monty73741 »

i think the grade is the quality

YES U NEED HOOD PINS

because the latch can break ask jarid...about it
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Neil

Post by Neil »

There was a video posted a long time ago, which showed why you need hood pins. I dont have it on my computer anymore and i couldnt find the post but it convinced me to get hood pins for when i order my CF hood. I remember people saying that theres a 50/50 chance of your hood flying open if you dont get them with your CF hood. And ofcourse thats not a good thing if it does happen.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

i've not seen it, but i suspect that cf hoods can flex a lot more than the stock metal ones. if they flex enough they'd come loose from the latch, thus the hood pins. there may be other reasons as well, but i'm not sure what they may be. as for the grades, normally such things would be "A" best quality and going down from there.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

Acamori wrote:i've not seen it, but i suspect that cf hoods can flex a lot more than the stock metal ones. if they flex enough they'd come loose from the latch, thus the hood pins. there may be other reasons as well, but i'm not sure what they may be. as for the grades, normally such things would be "A" best quality and going down from there.
hm, interesting... so even with an OEM latch the CF hood will still come loose due to this 'flex'?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

i have a cf hood with out useing the hood pins. I know i need them but i have not gone around to it. i just took of the spring that is used on the latch. when the spring is on the latch it's to strong and won't let the hood go down all the way. It's a little tricky to open it up but it works. I've raced with it, gone on the freeway over 70 and stuff. Some times it looks kind of scary. I will put the pins on a little later.
Chronicle-Rod

Post by Chronicle-Rod »

Put the pins in. Driving without them is stupid and dangerous - not so much for you, but for that poor bastard behind or beside you when it lets go. You want to wipe out a station wagon full of kids because you were too lazy to get your hood pins put in?

Return to “Appearance”