Electrical trouble- Right turn signal is on with headlights

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Muscle_Mark

Electrical trouble- Right turn signal is on with headlights

Post by Muscle_Mark »

Hey guys, thought i would try and post here with my troubles before taking the last step and bringing to a shop.
Problem #1
Whenever i turn my headlights on my right turn signal turns on and stays on as long as headlights are on.

Problem #2 Now the other problem is i have no reverse lights so i tried checking my fuse for the reverse lights the other day and when i pull out my Tail fuse it elimates my problem # 1!
So just as long as my tail light fuse is out my right signal problem is gone.

So my question is, obviously there is a short circuit between my tail light circuit and my headlight signal circuit somewhere. Anyone know if these two circuits are somehow connected at a certain point which could cause these to short circuit.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I dunno if it's the same with MX-3s, but apparently the reverse light works about 10% of the time on Miatas, so often they're not working... take that with a grain of salt, but... I dunno. Weird problem... it's gotta be a short or something though

What year is your car?
Muscle_Mark

Post by Muscle_Mark »

THats not good... I really could care less if my reverse lights dont work but my Mx3 is out of province and needs an inspection! They wont let me pass the inspection till i can get my reverse lights working. Im also a poor student so i really cant afford to take it to a shop or else i would have already. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

It will be a ground problem. Your getting a feedback through the ground circuit somewhere. Don't forget the tails turn on the front markers too so the common thread here is grounding for the headlights, indicators and markers.

The grounds are all black wires and the likely location of the problem is ground point B or C which are both located on each side in the engine compartment. See if you can locate these - there could be about 6 or more wires at each one, they go into like a white plastic terminal strip and bolt on with a bracket. When you find these, unbolt them, clean them up, check all the connections, spray them with WD40 or something, check where they bolt on has a good connection and then put them back.

Good luck!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”