Have to make a tough decision, Integra or MX3...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Have to make a tough decision, Integra or MX3...

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Here is the story
About 2 years ago before my tranny died my MX3 was giving me nothing but problems. From having a bad disty, coilovers, fuel pump, suspension, ect
To me, the MX3 was unrealiable.
Then again, the problems werent even big except for the bad disty and bad tranny. Other than the disty, I have had to spend about $250 dollars per repair done to the car every month or two.
Than my tranny died...

Anyway, got 6 months to make a decision
If I can find a used tranny (626 MTX, MX6 MTX or a Probe MTX) with all the stuff I will need (clutch, clutch slave, clutch line, flywheel, ect) for $700-$800 I will keep the MX3. Of course, the clutch and everything will have to be already used so nothing will be brand new. I could put up with a tranny with 110k miles.

But if I find a GSR Acura Integra (94-97) for $3000 to $3500 with atleast 115k miles and in alright/good shape I will have to sell the old MX3 with a used ATX tranny.

What do you guys think?
You guys think I will be able to find a MTX tranny with all the compoments for atleast $800?
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on March 1st, 2005, 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

In my opinion, it all depends on how far you wish to take either car. If you are planning to build a show car, then keep the MX-3. Hondas/Acuras are the hardest catergory to place in when competing in a show. There are so many civics, intege's, etc. that no one sees anything special in them, even when they're built top to bottom. They're played out, BAD.

However, if you are looking for a car that has the potential to be fairly quick with just a couple of bolt-ons, go with the integra. As much as I hate honda products, they're cheap, reliable and have a lot of punch. What type of integra is it? Any motor with the Z1 in the motor code is probably worth the money if it's in good condition. Hope this helps your decision. Just my $.02
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: In 6 months I will make a decision, Integra or MX3...

Post by jschrauwen »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:You guys think I will be able to find a MTX tranny with all the compoments for atleast $800?
I believe so. MX is plenty old enough to source something worthwhile from the wreckers.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I'm not looking for a show room car
Want a car that looks nice
A car that is fun to drive
A car that is realiable (the Teg wins this)
A car that not many people have or even know about (MX3 wins)
And a car that has enough potential to hit 300whp (KLDE/GSR Integra)

Both cars fit in great in these categories and I am sure I have replaced pretty much every known problem with MX3s except the ATX.
Its just that I am not sure about the MX3 anymore.
I look back at the cost of repairs I made and damn, i could of bought a KLDE and had it setup

And about the Integra
A GSR is what I am looking for
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

How about Insurance? I know insurance rates on GSR are usually way higher (was doing some research on INtegras for my sister) since they are a good target for theifts...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:How about Insurance? I know insurance rates on GSR are usually way higher (was doing some research on INtegras for my sister) since they are a good target for theifts...
Probably a little more than the Mx3 here where I live. Its not like I am getting a V8

But like I said, if I find one for $3k or $3.5k with atleast 115k miles I'm not looking back. 3k or $3.5k is a great deal for a 95 GSR Integra
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

I did a quick search on private party value of the Acura Integra 2dr sport coupe GS-R. In just "good condition" (Only minor paint and body blemish and an ok motor) with 115000 mi it was estimating $4600. $3k would be an awesome steal if you could find it, but if you do find one that cheap look hard at the car, go over it with a fine tooth comb. A car that cheap might have something wrong. That value goes up to $6800 when buying from a dealership, yes even used with 115000 miles.

If you do decide to go with the Honda/Acura route, keep your eyes peeled for a '94 Honda Civic Del Sol Si. They should be around the same price, and still kinda rare in the import racing scene. While some call them a del slow, the Si model for that year came with the potent B16Z1, the most popular VTEC motor putting down 160-170 hp stock. And we all know Hondas are reliable. I hate to say it but if I ever get the money and oppertunity to get one of those I might have to seriously consider dumping the Mazda which I have grown to love so much.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

When I had my auto tranny swapped out for a 5spd...I kept an eye out on the UBB for anyone selling all the parts needed to swap a 5spd into my car. Now, my mx is the 4cyl 1/6l sohc version, but I found a deal on the board for a complete tranny swap (all parts needed) for $400. So...I'm guessing you should be able to find what you need for $800 but who knows. later on!
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Yeah, I will most likely have to keep the MX3 because a GSR with atleast 120k miles would cost around $4k. I doudt I will be able to find one for 3k but you never know.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

hotsiit wrote:When I had my auto tranny swapped out for a 5spd...I kept an eye out on the UBB for anyone selling all the parts needed to swap a 5spd into my car. Now, my mx is the 4cyl 1/6l sohc version, but I found a deal on the board for a complete tranny swap (all parts needed) for $400. So...I'm guessing you should be able to find what you need for $800 but who knows. later on!
:D
Thats awesome
$400 or a 5spd
I guess I wont have much trouble finding a MTX with everything needed for $800.
I'll keep searching around
Big chance I will keep the MX3 though
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”