sound deadening

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

sound deadening

Post by jschrauwen »

Looking for ways to make the interior quieter. Like to cut down the road, wind, engine and exhaust sound level. "92 GS.....Suggestions?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

I put a phat exhaust on my 95 and the sound instde was too much. Have been told you can place a sheet of metal between the Zhaust and the car to stop some of the sound. Not tryed it my self.

Other noise

My dads Alfa 156 has an awsome clunk to it when you shut the doors and I thought the MX had bit of a tinny sound to it. So I took the alfa apart, to find they use polystireen in the door to quieten it a little.
Show_MX

Post by Show_MX »

One way is to use Dynamat. It is designed to keep sound in (stereo) and road noise out. If the problem is noise from beneath your car, you can use Dynamat and also try some regular home carpet padding beneath your mx carpet.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

heard there was this stuff called peel and stick that was pretty good. Some sort of insulation stuff you can get a Home Depot for pretty cheap. But I haven't checked it out yet. Suppose to be in 25 foot x 6inch rolls
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Just out of curiosity, how much Dynamat would it take to cover the entire MX-3? 100 square feet? Or more? I plan on doing this sometime when it gets warm out, so it'd be nice to know how much I am going to need for the job.
No more MX-3.
Show_MX

Post by Show_MX »

5 bulk packs of dynamat will cover the entire interior. TRUST ME :wink:
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Including the roof? Or do you not dynamat the roof? And, when you say bulk packs, is that like 100 square feet a pack? I was looking on eBay and the packs there seem reasonable for the prices...
No more MX-3.
Show_MX

Post by Show_MX »

i'm not sure exactly how many sq ft it is but yes, that includes the roof. look at my cardomain site.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

nooooo don't use dynamat... that stuff is a waste of money... i bought this roofing underlayment (type in "roof underlayment" or "roofing underlayment" in the mx-3.com search function) stuff which is for all intensive purposes the same stuff (it looks, feels, smells, and performs the same) except it's about 1/5 the cost of dynamat... i bought 200 sq. ft. (that's plenty) for $90 w/ tax...
unless you plan to compete in "sound-off" competitions with your system, than it's really impractical to use any more than 200 sq. ft., because it's been estimated that for every 50 lbs. you add to your car, you lose 1 horsepower. the stuff i used is called "Grace Ice & Water Shield"... you can "locate a distributor" by using this website... http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/pro ... &WT.srch=1

look to the left, and click the little green "locate a distributor" link, and go through the whole process of registering, and then you can find out who carries this "grace ice and water shield" near you... just my suggestion
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Sweet, thanks for the suggestion.
No more MX-3.
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

dynamat is better for vibration noise, or b-quiet ultimate (same stuff almost half the price). it took me 25 sq ft to cover the doors the rear quarters an the wheel wells, another 30-40 would probably have covered the whole floor and under the back seat/hatch area. not sure how much it'd take to cover the roof too. do whatever you want though.
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

also, you're gonna wanna become a trash picker... keep your eye out for people throwing out the padding which goes under carpeting... if you're intentionally looking for it, you'll spot it pretty frequently, because people often change up their carpeting... either that, or you can trash pick from the dumpster behind any carpet outlet/store... or, if you don't wanna be a cheapo like me, you can just buy the stuff new from the carpet store, as the stuff is probably on $.20-$.30 a sq. ft. But, why pay money when you can get some for free from a dumpster? you're gonna wanna go out and buy some spray adhesive (maybe the 3M stuff, like you might find in a craft store) and then start sticking the carpet padding to the interior door panels (on the inside of the interior panels, obviously, as you don't want to be able to see any of this from inside the cabin...) this stuff acts as an "open cell foam" and absorbs a lot of the sound waves that make it through your 1-2 layers of roofing underlayment (or dynamat, brown bread, b-quiet, raammat, edead http://www.edesignaudio.com/category.ph ... mp&cur=USD, etc.)
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

MarkMoore wrote:also, you're gonna wanna become a trash picker... keep your eye out for people throwing out the padding which goes under carpeting... if you're intentionally looking for it, you'll spot it pretty frequently, because people often change up their carpeting... either that, or you can trash pick from the dumpster behind any carpet outlet/store... or, if you don't wanna be a cheapo like me, you can just buy the stuff new from the carpet store, as the stuff is probably on $.20-$.30 a sq. ft. But, why pay money when you can get some for free from a dumpster? you're gonna wanna go out and buy some spray adhesive (maybe the 3M stuff, like you might find in a craft store) and then start sticking the carpet padding to the interior door panels (on the inside of the interior panels, obviously, as you don't want to be able to see any of this from inside the cabin...) this stuff acts as an "open cell foam" and absorbs a lot of the sound waves that make it through your 1-2 layers of roofing underlayment (or dynamat, brown bread, b-quiet, raammat, edead http://www.edesignaudio.com/category.ph ... mp&cur=USD, etc.)
Just make sure the padding from the garbage doesnt smell like cat pee first! :lol:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

So, after I have 5 layers of whatever... Are the panels still going to fit on top?? :D
No more MX-3.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i haven't done this project yet, but have collected a ton of info and all my materials for the project and am just waiting for warm weather to roll around so that i can completely gut my whole interior and soundproof my baby... oh yea, fyi, you'll also wanna wait for a warm day (actually, it's probably safer to set aside 2 or 3 warm days, just in case... so if you're not already a weather channel junky, start looking for a few warm, dry days in a row) too, because the roofing underlayment stuff (or any other of the vast array of options i mentioned) is a sticky asphaltic, tar material which comes in 3 foot rolls... the stuff itself is actually very thin... one layer of the underlayment probably equals one layer of cardboard, or come to think of it, maybe even 2 layers of the underlayment equals the thickness of a single layer of cardboard---so it's not very thick at all is what i'm getting at here... the sticky underlayment stuff will be applied to the bare metal... the carpet padding is usually applied to the interior panels w/ spray adhesive, although it can really go anywhere you want it to... here are some great links which helped me out a lot....

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/216257/3

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/sound_proofing.htm

there are others too, just can't find 'em right now in my searches... in conclusion--1 or 2 layers of your choice of matting, 1 or 2 layers of carpet padding, and try some expanding foam for the hard to reach areas...

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”