Drive shafts and tranny

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
krishna

Drive shafts and tranny

Post by krishna »

Okay so.... I pulled the trans out of my 92' sohc, and didnt take out the drive shafts, i managed to get off the boots and just slide everything out in 1 piece with the shafts just hanging in the bay.
Is that bad ?:P i think i can get em back in no prob. but i wanna make sure im not gonna jack somethin up if i do
92' BP
Charles-
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

ok wait a sec here, you didnt actually disassemble the cv shafts did you?
I am assuming you used a pry bar to pop them out of the tranny..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
krishna

blah

Post by krishna »

um.. let me explain it better
I pulled the engine and trans in one piece, and i was able to take off the boots and and get the shafts OUT of the trans, i pulled them out of the holder that the boots go around. getting them back in is a b----
92' BP
Charles-
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

So you left the splined part of the axels in the tranny..or did you pull the whole axels out of the tranny???
What

Post by What »

Replacing CV boots sucks crap! Which it sounds like you are doing in an off way. You must use lots of grease and no dirt which you may have lots of by now given that you've taken the engine out at the same time.
krishna

blah

Post by krishna »

Okay, so... sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, internet is down- but get this?
The BP that i bought came with a tranny- I figured since the tranny came out of the same year of mx-3 that it would match MY mx-3... NOT!!
Here was the problem-
The Drive shaft cups on the tranny that came with the BP were smaller then my stock Tranny cups ( cups = thing that you put end of drive shafts into)
so.... i got the whole damn thing bolted up and the MY shafts didnt fit in HIS tranny that came out of a freakin 92' mx-3.. (same year as mine)
Apperantly my Drive shafts and cups are bigger and only fit in THIS tranny.. unless i changed out the cups...
i called some guy who worked for mazda and he said hes never heard of anything like that.... the drive shafts not fitting into the tranny cups... WTF???
anybody else have this problem???
word of advice- if your ever swapping trannys... Make damn sure that your using the right size cups.

In the end i used my tranny wich thankfully was in good shape and everything bolted up and i finished my bp swap today! go me!!
92' BP
Charles-

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”