High Output Alternator

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I don't want to argue about this. I love this community too much to b---- on it. Here's my bottom line: I don't really think my amp is 1400 watts, but its enough to break my windows if I wanted it to. Here's the story on my cap. I had this system, but with 2 kenwood subs in another car, and with no cap, my alternator fried and I was also expierencing bad dimming of the headlights. After I replaced the alternator(which was only a few months old when it fried) I went to a stereo shop (Traffic Jamz in Waukegan IL) and they said to try a cap, so I bought a fosgate 1 farad cap and the problem ceased to exsist for a whole year afterwards...and then was transfered to my mx and still works great. No dimming, no fried alternators. My oppinion on this whole thing is that, yes a biggeralternator is the best way to go (I have my GS alternator sittin here waiting for some warm weather), but also a cap, a good battery and wiring and maybe even an engine grounding kit also helps a bit. So yes you are right , but I was just speaking from my personal expierence. No hard feelings :)
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

none taken :)
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

talk to.....*wierd name* here, if you search the forums, his name is posted somewhere, he quotes us I do believe 210 amps for $300
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

does a millenia amp fit with no mods?
-Steve
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

i've found it's still just easier to just put a cap on your sub amp and add a grounding kit to the battery and you should have any problems unless you want to push really high power through your system
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

LooseChangeRacing wrote:talk to.....*wierd name* here, if you search the forums, his name is posted somewhere, he quotes us I do believe 210 amps for $300

what exactly is this guys name? i couldn't find it. Say I get an alt for my stock gs for now, but soon i'll be putting in a ze, im going to be able to use the same alt right?.

And to the guy that said his 1400 watt max amp will break his windows, lmao thats all I have to say. Maybe if you threw the amp through the window then yes, but you'd be need to in the 160 dbs range at least for that to even have a chance of happening.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

[quote="jbruynson]
And to the guy that said his 1400 watt max amp will break his windows, lmao thats all I have to say. Maybe if you threw the amp through the window then yes, but you'd be need to in the 160 dbs range at least for that to even have a chance of happening.[/quote]

i've seen back hachs blown apart running just under 850watts of power through 3 12" rockford punch series it's not hard all he did was wire up the subs to show the amp around 1/2 ohm of resistance power of an amp means sh*t if you know how to wire the subs up right or you just have to find out what frequency the hatch needs to virbrate at to reach destructive potental (roughly it's around a 35 to 39hertz bass note). So 1400w i beleive it and i don't even have to see how there wired up or even what size subs he's running!
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

All of the available options work as long as you know where to put them and when to.

A high-capacity cap is a good upgrade as long as you know the system can handle the load already, it will stop the flickering, and its nice to have a small buffer in between the not always constant flow of electricity, and your needy sub amp. The cap is like a credit card for electricity. You still have to pay it back once its been used.

The upgrades you'll want to focus on FIRST are a grounding upgrade (make it yourself or buy one of those ebay ones). If you haven't the power to give to your system, you need an alternator. I haven't gotten a HO Alternator for a while, seeing as my system is fine in this car. Make sure you have large enough gauge wires on everything in your car, re-wiring is definately worth it.
Make sure your wires are safe, and none of them are shorting anywhere. Invest in some high quality signal cables to go from your headunit to the amp. And last but DEFINATELY not least, connect your sub or multiple subs CORRECTLY.
I've seen plenty of people fry their amps because they hook the subs up in such a way that causes the ohm-load to be too low, and the amp throws too much power and overheats. Lower ohm resistance does not mean better sound, if you blow everything up. If an amp says it's 2 ohm stable, make sure they don't mean 2 ohm PER SPEAKER.

I'll... stop now. :roll:
jbruynson

Post by jbruynson »

reaper of souls wrote:[quote="jbruynson]
And to the guy that said his 1400 watt max amp will break his windows, lmao thats all I have to say. Maybe if you threw the amp through the window then yes, but you'd be need to in the 160 dbs range at least for that to even have a chance of happening.
i've seen back hachs blown apart running just under 850watts of power through 3 12" rockford punch series it's not hard all he did was wire up the subs to show the amp around 1/2 ohm of resistance power of an amp means sh*t if you know how to wire the subs up right or you just have to find out what frequency the hatch needs to virbrate at to reach destructive potental (roughly it's around a 35 to 39hertz bass note). So 1400w i beleive it and i don't even have to see how there wired up or even what size subs he's running![/quote]

well he made it sound more like he could get loud enough to acutally shatter the glass, as in spl, which I woudln't believe for a second.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

i think the hole breaking glass thing was a figure of speach...he meant it gets loud. idiot :wink: :lol:
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

It was just a turn of phrase, damn...This is why I don't post in the stereo forum much. All I meant was its loud as hell and rattles my skull even at the extremely low setting its on now. I don't have anything to prove, so thats all I need to say. I enjoy my system and am content with the power, "don't hate...congratulate" :D :lol: :wink:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

check out this place for high output alternators. I got one from them and it cost $230 CDN shipped. I have an RS so the stock alt sucks and they bumped the new alt up to 140amps for me.

http://www.highlandstarter.com/
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

OK the guys name is something to the " ireggi" effect he is definitly not american lol, someone find his name, this was about a year ago, but yeah he quoted about $300 for 210 amps
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Well you don't have to have an upgraded alt. I have an ma audio 802sx amp running at 4400 watts continuos to my kicker solo's but at the same time I have a second battery and a 5 farad cap my voltage never goes below 12.6 even when I push it to the max, it usualy stays at the mid to low 13 area. This is all in my gs which has an 80amp alt. The problem with high output alt. is that they produce alot of heat which causes them to burn out faster than a stock alt. I chose to go the route I did because it was about the same price as a high output alt and will last longer, but that's just the opinion of a guy who does this for a living :wink:
304N

Post by 304N »

i ran 4 kicher 15' l7's with 4 rf punch power 1500 bd's and 1 rf punch power 500 all off of the stock alternator. i did have an additional battery and 4 caps (1 for each amp) i had no problems charging or anything.

http://members.cardomain.com/str8304 <p>"JUST TRYIN' TO BLEED THE BLOCK"

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”