driver side axle stuck

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
matt_fulghum

driver side axle stuck

Post by matt_fulghum »

for some reason, my passenger side axle came out no problem, but my driver side axle is stuck in the transmission really hard... I have no idea why... I've tried a crowbar, screwdrivers... everything... any advice people?
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

According to the online manual, set an expendable nut flush against the end of the axle and tap it with a copper hammer.

Maybe you can help me out too. Is disconnecting the engine mount member necessary? If so, I'm going to have to pay to have my axles replaced, I don't have any way to support the engine.
'95 RS: RIP
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

that expendable nut is for removing the axles from the wheel assembly... I'm trying to get it out of the transmission itself... it's just dangling there off the end of my engine :P

What are you trying to do that requires disconnecting the engine mount member? Replacing the axles should be relatively straightforward, unless you get a stuck one like mine
ertaisi

Post by ertaisi »

I'm guessing the reason you put the nut between the axle and hammer is so you're not hammering directly on the axle. Tapping on the axle will break it loose, I assume.

According to the online manual, you need to remove the member as part of the process of getting to the axle...but since you're down to removing the axle and it sounds like you didn't mess with it, it's not necessary.
'95 RS: RIP
Tric

Post by Tric »

they had a hell of a time getting my one side out last time I had them replaced the guys at mazda used a big pri-bar! but it came out after lots of tugging!! they said it was cause some of the after market axles lock rings are in very very snug!
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

I know it probably took me an hour to do my driver side axle. Put the tranny in neutral and rotate the axle 1/2 turn or so, then try again. If it doesnt come out, rotate it a little bit more then pry again. Its best to have someone jiggle it and pull while you pry with a bar.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I know the tranny's in neutral, so... hmmm....

On that note, for some reason, when I put it into gear, and turn the axle, it turns no problem, even though it's hooked up to the engine... is that just because of the differential? The other side rotates in the opposite direction it seems, so I don't think it's a problem, just weird. I know I installed the clutch right. What I'm NOT sure about is if I installed the throwout bearing right... I can move the clutch fork in and out, with almost no resistance, so I don't know if the throwout bearing is still on there.... I hope it is, but I guess I should take the engine off just to make sure. When I pull the clutch fork further out of the engine, it's got very little wiggle room, so it seems correct.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”