Ground Cables

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

If you are really looking for a good alternator, don't worry about the boneyard one. You could just have the stock one rebuilt, and rebuilt even better. I am going to have my rebuilt as well, but I'm going to have them hop up the unit to run about 190 amps. I want to run a fairly modest audio system but want more than enough power to spare. I've priced it out to be about $300-$350 American, but seeing as how just the rs alternator costed me $210, it might be worth it. Just another option.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I know of a guy here in washington that will rebuild any alternator to stock spec for $50-$150. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a new one.. but I figured in this case if I grab one from a bone yard and have it built.. then I have my current one as a spare and after its replaced it can be rebuilt and I will always have a good back up. Lesson I learned when I had to replace the alternator on my Subaru XT.. (was never a problem on my various Nova's or other american cars) But for whatever reason.. if the alternator was produced in japan (asia.. whatever) they seem to think they are freaking gold plated or something. An alternator for my old Chev Nova was $50.. for the subaru.. I couldnt find a new one for less than $300.. I finally managed to dig up a remanufactured one for $170.. I havent priced ones for the MX-3 yet.. but I would be surprised to find the remans for less than $150.. So.. whenever I get the opportunity at a bone yard to snag an extra alternator.. I do so.. this way I dont suffer from wallet shock or worse no car till payday, in case the alternator fails.

Tunes67
phillyMX3mayn

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

Tunes67 wrote:I know of a guy here in washington that will rebuild any alternator to stock spec for $50-$150. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a new one.. but I figured in this case if I grab one from a bone yard and have it built.. then I have my current one as a spare and after its replaced it can be rebuilt and I will always have a good back up. Lesson I learned when I had to replace the alternator on my Subaru XT.. (was never a problem on my various Nova's or other american cars) But for whatever reason.. if the alternator was produced in japan (asia.. whatever) they seem to think they are freaking gold plated or something. An alternator for my old Chev Nova was $50.. for the subaru.. I couldnt find a new one for less than $300.. I finally managed to dig up a remanufactured one for $170.. I havent priced ones for the MX-3 yet.. but I would be surprised to find the remans for less than $150.. So.. whenever I get the opportunity at a bone yard to snag an extra alternator.. I do so.. this way I dont suffer from wallet shock or worse no car till payday, in case the alternator fails.

Tunes67
good idea
-Steve

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”