bypassing egr??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

bypassing egr??

Post by Joey's mx »

When bypassing the egr do you have to leave the vacuum lines going to the egr and the solinoids hooked up, also does the wirring for the solinoids have to be connected in order not to have engine codes??

Thanks
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Why are you bypassing the egr? Are you trying to fail emissions?
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

bypassing it because running probe header!! Already passed emissions!! So can someone please let me know if i can bypass the vacuums and plugs??
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

bypassing it because running probe header!! Already passed emissions!! So can someone please let me know if i can bypass the vacuums or plugs??
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Unless you reprogrammed your computer, I think the car will run like crap. I don't think it's a wise idea to bypass your egr valve.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Well...there are ways around reprogramming the ECU. Using an Air/Fuel Gauge with a Super AFC would definately yeild power gains after removing the EGR system. Most cars to my knowledge close the EGR system when under wide open throttle. But to answer your question....yes you can cap off the vac ports, but leave the solinoids connected. Usually if you disconnect the solinoids it will throw a code, but by leaving them connected even though you removed the vac lines usually doesn't throw a code. By removeing the EGR without any mods to the ECU usually dosen't make the car run like crap, however it does sometimes rob a couple HP if you don't have a way to retune the car's AFR. Some cars will continue sending exhaust gasses into the Intake Manifold if you don't block off the EGR passeges when disconnecting the EGR system (RX-7's are an example).
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Well...there are ways around reprogramming the ECU. Using an Air/Fuel Gauge with a Super AFC would definately yeild power gains after removing the EGR system. Most cars to my knowledge close the EGR system when under wide open throttle. But to answer your question....yes you can cap off the vac ports, but leave the solinoids connected. Usually if you disconnect the solinoids it will throw a code, but by leaving them connected even though you removed the vac lines usually doesn't throw a code. By removeing the EGR without any mods to the ECU usually dosen't make the car run like crap, however it does sometimes rob a couple HP if you don't have a way to retune the car's AFR. Some cars will continue sending exhaust gasses into the Intake Manifold if you don't block off the EGR passeges when disconnecting the EGR system (RX-7's are an example).
Thanks alot really good info!! Now should i seal off the pipe at the manifold or should there still be air going into it(universal breather??
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

I read somewhere (can't remember where, sorry) that at WOT, the ECU bypasses the EGR valve anyway...
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Yeah i heard that before too....if you ask me egr is useless all it does it carbon up the intake....The b6ze from japan doesnt have the egr on it!! Same motor without that junk!!
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

actually, it isn't useless... it legitimately reduces emissions at cold start by a huge amount, not to mention reduces combustion temperatures, therefore making things less likely to knock. Because at WOT it's turned off, and because it's such an important emissions control, AND because in many, many places it's illegal to remove stock emissions controls, you'd have to be, pardon the expression, a total a--hole to remove it :P

That's ALMOST as bad as you putting that test pipe on your car... I'll be laughin my a-- off when mother nature decides to flood your car, smash your car with fallen trees, and then with a final bitchslap toss it 500 feet away in a tornado, for being such an apathetic punk :P
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Ok so why doesnt the Japan motors have it?? The emissions in Japan are 60% stricter then Canada!!!! Oh yeah and bypassing a 1/2 pipe isnt going to kill any trees..so mother nature go ragg on those dodge caravans burning oil!!!!
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

forget burning oil.... their engines suck harrrrd... my dad's caravan's valve lifters blew out a little while ago (120k miles, it sucks)

no, it's not gonna kill trees, it's gonna kill the ozone, and THAT'S gonna kill trees. Need proof? Pre-converter era L.A.

Besides, using a test pipe instead of a high-flow cat is only going to get you maybe a pony or two, and you'll bomb emissions really badly. EGR is the same deal, completely unnoticable performance increase.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

TESTPIPE?? Im not using a test pipe..hi flow converter!!! Thats funny because my buddy with a KLZE had to bypass his egr and passed emissions!!
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

and im not bypassing it for more power im bypassing it because the header i am using!!!
matt_fulghum

Post by matt_fulghum »

my bad... I was just reading johnboi's topic on his test pipe and got your names fumbled up.
/me commits seppuku to regain his lost honor :P

alright, as long as you have a catalytic converter, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with normal CO emissions... but NOx might be a problem with taking off the EGR valve, unless, of course, Canada doesn't test for NOx :P

well, assuming that it's legal for you to use those headers, then it's probably legal for you to take off the valve... in that case, you should take the valve out completely, otherwise I imagine it'd suck in fresh air and fumble your engine up really badly (unmetered air = bad) or maybe you have to get one of those EGR valve plates, and stick that at the end of the valve so it doesn't suck air in.

Dunno

Sorry for the miscommunication. I still think removing the valve is a bad idea though. NOx sucks. Can you get a competent welder to put on a valve flange? shouldn't be too hard, just a cut and a TIG weld. You could probably take the flange off of your old manifold.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”