MX3 V6 - looking to maybe buy one, Advice?

A place for the MX-3 Community in Europe to gather.
snellgrove

MX3 V6 - looking to maybe buy one, Advice?

Post by snellgrove »

Hi, just signed up :) and I recently started looking into buying my next car, and was thinking I wanted a Coupe sort of thing, preferably a small car and something that is primarly, 'fun' to drive... I Drove my mates Celica GT, loved it apart from its weight, and size.. very heavy car, and the long gears were a bit boring too.. and it didn't sound *amazing* and it was SO gutless below 3.5k / 4k rpm! altho thats kinda cool, coz when it does kick in its lovely :D

So, found the MX3 and it looked brilliant, read lots of reviews, sounded awsome, V6 1.8 :o nice!

so, advice please!

common problems with them?

how much to pay? (looking to spend around £5k / £6k or around that)

are they quick enough? (I dont want anything thats very fast, one the condition that its fun to drive..! )

how much do they cost to service? (6k, and 12k aint it)

I've heard they absolutely guzzle their way through fuel, is this true? whats the sort of mpg you guys get? I dont mind if it guzzles it a bit, my current car only gets around ~30mpg.. but if these things only do like 5mpg, it'd put me off :p

Insurance? (will be 20 when I purchase, -possibly 19 if I want one that bad, birthday is in march) got 1 year NCB, and Pass-Plus..
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Hi,

I've had my MX3 V6 since last May. I payed £3995 for it with 31K on the clock and in very good condition. I get a constand 24-27MPG, and I mean constant, it doesnt seem to matter how I drive it or on what average speeds etc.

As for servicing, Mazda do charge quite a bit for a normal standard service (£300) but that does include a replacement car etc while its being serviced but I just take mine to a local garage for a standard 80 point service (£89).

Its my first car so I cant really judge well how "quick" it is, but it does the job for me, doesnt seem to mind doing 70mph in 3rd gear when overtaking and I can certainly feel lots of power on those occasions.

For insurance, its a group 15 so the insurance will be steep, get a few online quotes and be prepared to lie down afterwards :)

Paul
MikeUK
Forum Moderator

Post by MikeUK »

I get arround the same mpg as psneddon. Im 22 paying £800 per year on insurance thats third party fire and theft, I have four years no claims. Its a fun car to drive with great handling. If your looking into modding it, nearly every time you have to import the parts as they are not available in the UK like Honda stuff. The 1800 engine is great and Ive been told they last forever if looked after and not screwd about. You can pick up these motors for very cheep. Your looking at around £3k-£4k.
Services range from £300- £400 for a full service. But local garages can do it much cheaper.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

I've had mine for over 3 years, and the consumption has averaged 30.3 mpg. over about 25,000 miles. Best 33, worst 26. I had to replace the exhaust, and, more recently, when I put it in for MOT, they replaced a front wheel bearing (about £75 incl labour - local garage, not Mazda). Otherwise, it's been excellent.

Roadholding is very good, and so is the ABS - saved my bacon once. I'd say get one with ABS.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Went and looked at one, last Sunday and it was very nice to drive, definately want to get one :D

didn't buy it, as it was a 95 / N reg, for around £4.5!!!!!

Way overpriced, (Glasses guide says around £3500 for that age) and although it was in 'mint' condition (quotes because theres a catch..) there was some BAD RUST, on the front end of the car.. and a crack in the passenger-side mirror case... had 48,000 on the clock though, so not bad. these cars tend to be low mileage it seems, seen many with low mileage! brilliant :) unless its owners selling them, coz they can't afford the cambelt change.. doesn't happen at 50k does it, by any chance? :lol: and how much does a cambelt change cost?

pictures of the car I looked at, here
Pedro_mx3
Supporting Member

Post by Pedro_mx3 »

Normally a Mazda cambelt change and full service is around £500 quid an it is at the 50k-60k mark.
i just had mine done at mazda!
I'm not worried about the bullet with my name on, Im worried about the one that says 'To Whom it may Concern'....

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3
jollyroger1965

Post by jollyroger1965 »

£4500 is way too much.....I picked up a N reg in better condition....63000 miles with a recent cambelt change + FMSH for £2000. The alloys has to be cleaned up and she'll be near mint (in my opinion) - a couple of very minor stone chips which I have touched up.

Regarding insurance....now thats a nightmare. I'm 39 and a new driver (have always been a biker) and the cheapest Full Comp quote I got was £1100. I eventually put the insurance on my wife's name before I got my license (she doesn't have any NCB for this car since it's used on the other car). She got a quote for £420 fully Comp. I have now added my name to the insurance as a second driver and it only added £67 to the total. Not bad, eh?? :wink:
Chadley

Post by Chadley »

hmm
Last edited by Chadley on March 30th, 2005, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

that sounds good Chadley! I looked at a Red one and it had that same Pink Spoiler too, :lol: but nowt that can't be fixed 8)

as you have probably seen, my search has ended with a nice Silver one, but I did buy it 2 months before I was thinking of doing so didn't have 5k to play with, but these MX-3's aint expensive to buy it seems, depreciation is a good thing IMO :lol:

Return to “European MX-3 Community”