Power Wire

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
brody125

Power Wire

Post by brody125 »

All my turn signals, warning lights etc. work, but I can't see my speedo, tach, gas etc. I took my cluster out and I am trying to fix it but I am not sure exactly which single wire (of the 3 connectors) is the power wire for the illumination of these lights. (The ones that light my cluster up green).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brody
Taras

Post by Taras »

Check your fuses.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
brody125

Post by brody125 »

i checked all fuses and everything i need to know what wire it is because i'm just going to run a completely new one instead of trying to find where it's broken.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I believe it is red w/blk stripe but before replacing any wire, test the instrument lighting brightness controller on the dash for proper function. These have been known to fail, which seems more likely than a bad wire and it can easily be bypassed.
brody125

Post by brody125 »

^^i think it is exactly what you said...how would i bypass it?
connect the solid red wire on the switch to the red w/ black stripe?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

brody125

Post by brody125 »

The writeup said the solid red wire should have variable voltage and the red w/ black striped wire should be your power (I'm assuming around 12v) but when I went outside to test both the wires they had the exact same voltage which was approx 12v. Now I'm extremely confused. Should I just buy a new switch from the wreckers?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The lights won't illuminate if you have the same voltage on those 2 wires, so sounds like the dimmer might be U/S.

Unplug the dimmer and bridge out the ALL RED wire to the ALL BLACK wire (with the lights on of course). This will then put a ground to the cluster lights (your currently getting 12 volts to both sides of the bulbs). Just be careful NOT to bridge the RED / BLK wire to the BLK one.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
brody125

Post by brody125 »

I bridged the all red and the black together and it kept blowing the fuse.
Now I'm confused again
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

So long as your definitely bridging the ALL RED and ALL BLACK wires (double check) it means there is a short in either the cluster, the wire going to it or one of the other lights.

So long as your happy your bridging the right wires your now going to have to start looking for the short. (You'd think a short pretty unlikely as there seems to be quite a few problems with our dimmers but if its blowing fuses it can't be anything else.)

If you find the short keep in mind the dimmer switch is probably U/S too. Otherwise you'd expect the fuse to blow all the time...

If you want to have a look at the wiring diagram, go to my web site below, click on info and open the 1993 wiring diagrams. Go to page 8 (grid D23) to see the dimmer wiring.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”