Broken Door Locks

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ahough

Broken Door Locks

Post by ahough »

For some reason, both my main door locks are broken. There are pieces floating around inside the key slot. The trunk lock is fine. I can't understand how both are broken since the passenger side door was not used as often.

Should I take this to the dealer to repair or can someone recommend a better place to get new locks installed?

Thanks
javascript:emoticon(':help:')
Help!
Invisible

Re: Broken Door Locks

Post by Invisible »

ahough wrote:For some reason, both my main door locks are broken. There are pieces floating around inside the key slot. The trunk lock is fine. I can't understand how both are broken since the passenger side door was not used as often.

Should I take this to the dealer to repair or can someone recommend a better place to get new locks installed?

Thanks
javascript:emoticon(':help:')
Help!
Pieces of what floating around in the key slot.....? pieces of a key? If there is something in both locks and its not your key broken off, then maybe a vandal? Seem's a little weird that both locks have something "floating" around in them.
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
ahough

Broken Door Locks

Post by ahough »

Not pieces of a key. Internal lock pieces that are still inside.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Maybe bring it to a lock smith and maybe they can rebuild the locks? Maybe the dust protectors fell inside for some reason. Doesnt hurt to stop by and ask. If not go to the dealer and get new locks and key.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'd be very suspicious... both at the same time???
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

Grants wrote:I'd be very suspicious... both at the same time???
This is what I am saying :dunno: Sounds like its time for you to invest in door poppers :2thumbsup: Im still waiting for my excuse :werd:
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
ahough

Broken Door Locks

Post by ahough »

I'm new here. What are 'door poppers'? Also, how much and where can I get them?

Thanks to all.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

my suggestion is this... buy a keyless entry system off of ebay... you can probably pick one up for under $50... then, you'll never have the need to mess around w/ putting your key in the keyhole... so then it'll be a triple bonus, cuz 1) it'll be cheaper than buying replacement locks and paying some one else to install them 2)it adds value to your car 3) it adds convenience and is just something cool to have... and keyless entry HAS to be cheaper than door poppers, although maybe not as cool???? :shrug: just my suggestion...

as for what door poppers are: some one correct me if i'm wrong on this, but i think a 'door popper' is a device that can be installed in your door so that by the press of a button your door will 'pop' open... i think the main reason people use these is for when they shave their door handles (meaning they take out all parts of the door handle and keyhole, use putty to fill in the hole, sand it, then paint over it and make it look like nothing was ever there in the first place.... as if it was always one solid panel w/o a handle/keyhole)
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

oh yea, forgot to mention, you need power door locks if you want a keyless entry system, so here's your ticket http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

i bought this exact system from the same guy, and its been sitting in my room for months waiting for me to install it (just look at my signature!)... but the guy seems to be a good seller as i received all my merchandise in a timely fashion and all in new condition

anyway, just wanted to give you another option, hope some of it helps
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”