This MUST BE WHY my car is SO SLOW

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

This MUST BE WHY my car is SO SLOW

Post by hgallegos915 »

well other than having a k8... this is slower than any other k8... why well for sstarts...I am using regular unleaded in winder....this explaining the back fire.. (ecu codes are all clear) Now my clutch..im afraid its slipping..why? well today it would NOT GO over 90 mph..if it would it would be slowly . What i need from you guys is this.... at what RPMS are you at lets say 50 in 5th gear, then moving to 90 in 5th gear..can anyone help me out? I also noticed that before i used to be able to spin my tired as i was shifting from 2rst to second.it weas awesome..over time..it wont do it anymnore why well the clutch must not be engaging right. :( blkeh i wish it would have worn out the sme time as my engine lol klde :(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok FYI im at 70 MPH at 4.5K rpms on 4th gear... this normal? Today i added higher grade of fuel and did feel a bit of a difference.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Why are you going 90mph??

A little dangerous isnt it??

:?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

have you ever replaced the o2's?

I sound like a broken record, but no one here seems to replace theirs and wonders why their cars are running like crap. They are supposed to be changed every 60k miles
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

5th gear @ 90mph I think Im around 4700rpm
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

No i hjavent and yes I will cahnge them I just want to rule out the clutch first but i do tjhink thats the main problem i did notice a huge difference tonote while starting the car. Using the premium gasoline. Ill jot that rpm info and take it for a spin tomorrow.
-hec

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Unless your clutch is VERY bad it won't effect your RPM's at speed. If it was bad enough to effect the higher speeds it would take you a long time to get going from a stop. The engine would act as if it was disconnected from the drivetrain.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

atlantamx3 wrote:Why are you going 90mph??

Cry me a river. Break out the violins. :roll:
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

lakersfan1 wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote:Why are you going 90mph??

Cry me a river. Break out the violins. :roll:

:lol: ROTFLMAO :lol:
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check your codes.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I get the all clear code...today i drove it to over 90 but it was dark and afraid to get stopped by a cop sure beat the hell out of a mercury. Still hmm i noticed today it backfired as soon as i started and took off without warming up. It HAS to be oxygen sensors / timing belt/ clutch combination. Im eben thinking of getting a klde if the clutch is going to cost 600 dlls for the clutch, 200 for the belt, over 100 for both oxygen sensors...for 300 dlls or 400 i can just get a klde and 100 more a new clutch ..i would still need to get the oxygen sensors but well im starting to think its not worth fixing it. I feel like saving this k8 for when I get another mx3 (which are my plans for the future) what sucks is the downtime i woulld have (cant miss a day of work..im in training)
-hec

Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE

Post by Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE »

Mine used to be exactly 3,500rpm @ 70mph in 5th, then... after timing belt change and some other belt replacements / dizzy replacement.... it's now 4,000rpm at 70mph!!

Impossible some say... but i'm 100% sure.
Mazda MX-3 Limited Edition
1845cc V6 DOHC
Custom ICE Installation
http://www.destr0yer.net/car-sig.jpg <-- click!
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

why are u sure it's your clutch?

O2 sensors will have no effect on on top speed. They will also will not cause a backfire when the engine is cold. The O2 sensors are not being used at all by the ecu in either one of those scenarios. I'm pretty confident it is not the O2 sensors.

There are three possibilities I think. Cam timing, Ignition timing, or for whatever reason the car runs pig rich. What are you getting for gas mileage?

TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Dave-UK-MX3-V6-SE wrote:Mine used to be exactly 3,500rpm @ 70mph in 5th, then... after timing belt change and some other belt replacements / dizzy replacement.... it's now 4,000rpm at 70mph!!

Impossible some say... but i'm 100% sure.
yes, impossible. rpm at speed is dependent on your transmission gear ratios. There is no other mechanism that can effect his number.

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My gas mileage is 25 - 27 mpg . Used to be 30 mph. It only backfires if I turn it on and quickly drive off as sooon as i started it. Even if its been sitting for 30 minutes. So if its noit the 02 sensors..then it has to be the timing? (still replacing the o2s) I opened up the timing belt case and i noticed that the timing belt may be a bit stretched ..i can see because the letters on the bellt are funny looking . maybe not stretched but i can see the cam pattern on the belt itself... so this can be timing belt related? what about clutch?? so that does not play a roll in slippijng? Ive had clutch slipping opn other cars and it was way different..the rpms would go all the way up. But in the mx3 after a long run I can smell tire smell...my tires are aligned and new.. maybe this smell is clutch smell? today im going to the scrap yard to source out some mx3 parts and solenoids that I need.
-hec

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”