timing belt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93-Spec-Edn

timing belt

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi I have a 93 v6. I have had it since 170,000km and now it has 201,000km. I am not sure if the timing belt has ever been done. two questions:

1) If i dont do it and it snaps will anything get damaged? I remember reading a few years back that these engines were designed not to damage upon a breaking t belt.

2)Is it hard to do yourself? Do I need a timing light.

Thanks
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The answer to number 1 is no - they are a non interference engine.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well, its kinda hard. it takes a while to do. make sure to replace the tensioner too. just take your time.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You can expect the base timing to shift slightly with a new belt, so yes, you need a timing light.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
andy

Post by andy »

The worst part about it breaking is leaving you stranded.

I have replaced mine twice now. Both times it was not because the belt
failed but because the water pump failed. For me, I'll just wait for the pump
to start leaking again in another 60-80k miles.
The first time I did the pump/tbelt it took a couple of days. the second time took 4 hours, and the third time took about 2 hours. That 3rd time was on a friends probe gt. Theres definitely a learning curve to this.

Andy 93 GS
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

thanks for the replies. If the timing is off will I know? Will it damage the car? Also does the fender wall come off so u have more access to the belt area?
Andy is the mx-3 the same as doing a probe timing belt? cause i saw a write up on it somewhere.

thanks
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

it would be the exact same as the probe v-6. i broke my timeing belt and it didnt hurt the engine at all. i was also at 8k rpm when it went. i've done it like 3 times with the engine in the car. it takes some time, but its not that hard. you dont have to take the fender off at all. its just a little tight in there.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

93-Spec-Edn wrote:Also does the fender wall come off so u have more access to the belt area?
What'd'you think this is? A video game? There ain't no cheat codes for this one. You do it the hard way, or no way.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ive done timing belt swaps before...but well like on the bp... doI HAVE to remove the water pimp to have access to the ti ing belt bolts and stuff...i think i had to do this. On the gs what do i remove? belts, pulleys, covers..and what else?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
andy

Post by andy »

there are several good write ups online including the Probetalk board.

several things to keep in mind. crankshaft pulley might need a puller to help get it off, otherwise wiggling back and forth ussually works but you'll need some patience here.
The hydraulic tensioner, if you reuse the old one you will need a large vise or some other method of compressing the piston then use a small nail to hold in place.

And most of all, take your time and make sure you have all three timing marks lined up when the new belt goes on. You don't want to be off even one tooth.

Andy P. 93 GS
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

andy wrote:there are several good write ups online including the Probetalk board.

several things to keep in mind. crankshaft pulley might need a puller to help get it off, otherwise wiggling back and forth ussually works but you'll need some patience here.
The hydraulic tensioner, if you reuse the old one you will need a large vise or some other method of compressing the piston then use a small nail to hold in place.

And most of all, take your time and make sure you have all three timing marks lined up when the new belt goes on. You don't want to be off even one tooth.

Andy P. 93 GS
Thanks guys for the replies. Andy did u use a timing light? U got any links for good write ups?

thanks
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A timing light is for setting the electronic timing, not the mechanical timing. Your timing might change a degree or so between a tight new belt and old loose belt because of slight differences in the cam, which drives the distributor, but 1 degree off is within specs.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”