Looking for input on 6x9's

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mxmaz

Looking for input on 6x9's

Post by mxmaz »

I am getting rid of my subs and getting a good set of 6x9's and am going to amplify them with a rockford 150S amp. Just looking to see what people recommend, i want them to sound clean and crisp with really nice bass.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

just out of curiousity, where are you going to mount them?
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

I am either gonna make a durable cargo cover and mount them in that, or from what i understand it is fairly simple to mount them in the stock hole with a little cutting (though i dont know if that is for the 93 style or 94 style, if there is any difference in the speaker housings). I am gonna size it up in the next couple days to see what my best option is.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i tried sizing up the 6x9's and they didn't seem like they would fit in the rear speaker holes (even if the hole was cut). i cut out a template of 6x9's and my assesment is that they wouldn't fit, but then again, people claim that this is some extremely easy project to do... interesting to note, however, is that i have never seen any photos from all these people who have done it "so easily" :roll:

with all of that said, i went out and bought a good pair of pioneer speakers that were 6 1/2"
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

I believe if you mount them on top of the stock rear locations they'll fit. Youd have to put some holes into them obviously. I considdered doing this, but opted to get the right size instead
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

if you do manage to get 6x9's in, I recomend kicker free-air 6x9 woofers. They first came out in 1997, and are very wicked mid-bass speakers
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

mxmaz if your in the ontario pm i have cargo cover you might be interested in.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

mrspanky79 wrote:mxmaz if your in the ontario pm i have cargo cover you might be interested in.
No i am in Newfoundland
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

agreed....unless you make enclosures for the 6x9's, get some free-air ones.

if you aren't will to do either, just get 6.5's and put em in teh stock locations. The rear trunk panel makes a semi-enclosure for the 6.5's and will sound good. I have my trunk panel full of cotton on both sides w/my component 6.5's and the midbass is damn good.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

My buddy gave me his 6.5's to try in the back of my car and i cant seem to get them to work when i hook them up to my amp. And when i hook them up to the stock wiring, they are not very loud. Even when im standing directly over them they are not loud. Then i tried them in the front and they worked fine. When i hook them to the amp in the back, I just hear the speakers rattling but there is no sound coming out of them. But when i hook the subs back up to the amp they work fine. I switced the amp to the hp setting when trying to play the speakers. Anyone know what the problem is?
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

you will be dissapointed with 6x9's unless they are in a sealed box.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

mxmaz wrote:My buddy gave me his 6.5's to try in the back of my car and i cant seem to get them to work when i hook them up to my amp. And when i hook them up to the stock wiring, they are not very loud. Even when im standing directly over them they are not loud. Then i tried them in the front and they worked fine. When i hook them to the amp in the back, I just hear the speakers rattling but there is no sound coming out of them. But when i hook the subs back up to the amp they work fine. I switced the amp to the hp setting when trying to play the speakers. Anyone know what the problem is?

Re wire your rear speakers with fresh speaker wire.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Yeah i had new speaker wire running from the 6.5's tp the amp, and they were making this loud buzzing noise and were constantly bouncing.
n_o_s_21

Post by n_o_s_21 »

do you have a deck that runs an internal cross ovr too? I know if a deck has sub outs, it usually has a built in crossover, thus causing the same effect as a sub
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

n_o_s_21 wrote:do you have a deck that runs an internal cross ovr too? I know if a deck has sub outs, it usually has a built in crossover, thus causing the same effect as a sub
That being the case what would the proper way to hook them up to the amp be?

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”