Stuttering when hot

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Starvinmartin

Stuttering when hot

Post by Starvinmartin »

Hi,

I've got a 1994 K8 engine with 96,000 miles on it. When cold, it runs fine, but once warmed up, at around 2500-3500 rpm it stutters once of twice when I try and accelerate, then pulls through. Anything above 3500 rpm, and it's fine. Doesn't seem to be any loss in power. Also the idle when hot is a little rough.

Any ideas on where to begin?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Hmm check ur vacum lines. turn the motor on ..let it idle. spray carb cleaner un suspected areas (manifold gaskets,TB gaskets, assorted vac lins) and if the idle goes up then down agaiin when u spray....u have a vac leak in that area. Ummm maybe check ur fuel filter. or injectors. Maybe get a tune up ...wires plugs, disty. My guess is maybe a vac leak or sumthing. Maybe the beginings of a blocked exhaust system( cat)

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

check the condition of your plugs. They may be running rich. If in doubt about them, replace, and run it awhile. The problem may go away temporarily. If it reoccurs, check the plugs again. If they seem to have run rich as well, check your coolant temp sensor. It can malfunction, by failing to tell the ecu that the engine has reached running temp, causing then ecu to flow more fuel than needed. which causes it to stutter at certain loads and rpm.
This occured in my RS, and drove me nuts till I pinpointed the problem. It also cost me $ due to replacing things I didn't really need to replace.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”