b6t potential

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
phillyMX3mayn

b6t potential

Post by phillyMX3mayn »

is the b6t a direct replacement for the 1.6dohc and does anyone have any pictures or notes on this swap? is it a lot cheaper than swapping in a bpt? is the b6t a waste of timeor does it have potential? i never hear much about it
-Steve
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

two summers ago the B6T swap was about the only post you would see on here. since then the focus has been on the BPT's. seeing that you have a 95 i'm assuming your working with the b6ze (DOHC) motor at the moment. in this case it might be easier to turbo your existing motor. There are so many topics on this its not even funny, just do a search.
as far as potential: cjthor is making 230whp with a turbo b6ze, most B6T swaps that i have seen run or read of, usually run somewhere in the mid 13's to low 14's in the 1/4 and low 9's in the 1/8 with pretty much just minor bolt-ons. so yes, they have huge potential.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
barbarino69

Post by barbarino69 »

Wow, I was gonna ask the same damn question , which i have noticed happens often on these forums. My dilema is this, my current 1.6 DOHC was running fine until this past week when I think i blew the head gasket. It makes a weird clacking noise that gets louder and faster when I accelerate. Not sure what the problem could be, but I had the same thing happen in my first car and it was the head gasket, im going to the shop tommorrow to get it prooperly diagnosed. Since the 1.6 Im working with is automatic transmission, I wasnt sure if I could just throw on a manual and run the lines, or if i needed a new engine. Anyways, if the head gasket is blown, im not spending money to get it fixed and then have another problem come up, so I was looking into the b6t swap which would be about 500 dollars cheaper than repairing the engine from what I heard.
mxk

Post by mxk »

changing the head gasket isnt that expensive, if you do it yourself.
I changed mine and it was the first time i did any engine work before, was easy and turned out great. Only took about 6 hours for 2 novices to do, just make sure you clean the head and the block before putting the new one on, and make sure you dont screw with the timing belt either, mark EVERYTHING
barbarino69

Post by barbarino69 »

I wouldnt even know where to start. I wish i did.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

you can always check the online manual

also the b6t isnt a direct replacement because the ecu wont plug directly into it.......

& you have to cut a whole int he hood of the car..to fit theintake manifold...
the option for the b6t would to put the b6ze head on the b6t ....but would just turboing the b6ze he the same.....

you can always start with pre turbo stuff such as a rising rate fuel pressure regualtor, a upgraded fuel pump, a apex afc2 or other piggy back
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
jammlc

93 1.6 SOHC to B6T 1.6 swap

Post by jammlc »

Hi Guys, I have a 93 1.6 SOHC automatic with 130000 miles that i've owned since new. i still love it and dont want to sell it so i decided to bring it back to like new. i just had it repainted a nice pearl white with 18" rims etc. looks great again but the head is making lots o noise. a friend of mine had a B6T complete with manual tranny and 30000 mi. (i think from a miata) that he bought in japan to put in his mx3 but changed his mind and sold the car. i bought it from from him for 600.00. can anyone tell me if this is a good candidate to swap in my car and what it will take to accomplish it. the last engine swap i did was 10 years ago in a 67 camaro which i'm sure is quite different. i consider myself mechanically inclined but i usually dont do work on cars myself. this is something that i want to do though. i would greatly appreciate any help that can be given.
jam 93 MX-3

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”