What the hell is that smell ???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jay72

What the hell is that smell ???

Post by Jay72 »

I just got a brand new cat. converter last week. Maybe a month before that I was already smelling small hints of "boiled egg farts". They were very subtle and few between. Since I replaced my converter I smell it alot more and they occur much closer together. Other than a clogged converter, what else could be the reason behind this? I also noticed my rad leaking coolant.
Thanks in advance.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

the rad may be the smell..or they messed up and did not out the gaskets right in the exhaust
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

new cats have to "Break in" this means crappy smells. Mine lasted about 2 weeks before the nasty smell went away.

Although you shouldn't be able to smell it inside your car. Maybe your hatchlid isn't properly closing?
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Re: What the hell is that smell ???

Post by Nallboy »

Jay72 wrote:smelling small hints of "boiled egg farts". They were very subtle and few between.
Stay away from thiamine.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

is your girlfriend in your car with you at the same time?
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
yvan

Post by yvan »

na, most commonly its just bad gas, try using better grade gas, or change the place where you be pump in gas..
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Its just that you have to close your legs whenever your in your car :lol:
j/k
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

jay who do you use to fill up your gas?

Try and stay away from these little companies, they buy their gas from discounted oil companies and it isnt the quality you want in your car
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

GoGoGoGo Chevron 8)

Invis
disarm

Post by disarm »

isnt egg alike odor related to the battery ?
i would check it for any leaks first
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

an egg like smell is caused by sulfer in the fuel. If you've ever smelt sulfer burn it smells similar

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”