Going for 600 whp

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Minimonster

Going for 600 whp

Post by Minimonster »

We just upgraded the turbo to something t4 ish and the engine is now a 2.0 bp. You can follow this link for more updates.

http://www.racingmazda.com/ma_ze.htm
:P
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

your a god among mortals
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
What

Post by What »

Now there's a manifold I like!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Your runners aren't much shorter than mine after you stretch them out. I like your's also (it's a REV HARD knockoff, I don't mean this in a bad way). Your collector is to restrictive in my opinion. I'll post some snap shots of mine hopefully this weekend. Then you'll see why I designed mine the way I did, all my transitions are REALLY smooth and an it will have a LOT more flow capacity through the flange with out the turbulance your 4-1 has. We might even get the manifold done this weekend, but I doubt it do to the polishing were doing on the inside. You may want to consider redoing your collector merging the collector pipes similar to the way I did. That flange is choking off your flow by covering the edges of your runners like that. Your welds are lot prettier than mine though! LOL I've got a poor mans welder and the welds ain't the prettiest, but they work. :twisted:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Ma-Ze

Post by Ma-Ze »

thats the t3 flange in those pics of the manifold. another upgrade not in those pictures is of the new intake manifold with 70mm throttle body. i dont think ive taken pictures of that yet. everything is going back in the car right now. 2.0 bp, upgraded fuel lines and rail, and the bigger turbo. i should be back on the track soon, we got a big race coming to texas Feb. 6.
92 MX-3 RS,
Racing Mazda turbo kit. 451 WHP @ 25 psi
12.1 @ 117 mph w/318whp
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/652555
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yah if i were to start over again thats exactly what id be doing. BP all the way. i definatly see you breaking into the 10's. probably one of the first MAZDA Bseries motors to do so. have you done anything to the susspension to help with launches yet?
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Sounds good, hook us up with some pictures! I must admit if I was doing it over, I'd go BP stroked to 2.0 also. I'm gonna stay 1.6 for now just for bragging rights.....lol. I'll take some pics of the collector today, it's in really rough shape but you'll see why I did my T3 flange this way. Your new turbo is using a T4 exhaust side correct?
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

The manifold is great. The photos may not do justice. Becides I made 451 at only 25 psi on a SC61.

The new turbo is on a t4 flange. I will try to update the site with new pics as I go. :roll:
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'm sure it does....it is a well proven design. Here is a VERY ugly pic of my collector (definately not a finished product). What you see is where we actually welded up parts of the flange (inside it), then it will be ground down so the runners will have a nice smooth transition. Also here is a pic of half my manifold tac welded. So far it looks like the first set of merges will hit around 23inches (it is before the 45* elbows on the collector). From center of valve to the turbine I think was around 42-44 inches. It should be close enough to create a good scavenge using exhaust gas reverb.

Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

those primaries look big, what size I.D. are they?
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The ID is 1.610" and the OD is 1.900". Wall thickness is .145". The pipe and elbows are all 1.5" SCH40 316L SS. I'd rather use Inconnel, but I'm broke! LOL The next tools I really need are a decent Tig Welder and a Heavy Duty Plasma Cutter. Those would make this project SOOOO much easier!
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

OK I finally got my missing parts. The engine should be back in today.
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Sounds good....but you better knock on some wood!!!!

Those parts Gremlins are always walking of with stuff!!! You know where I coming from on this!!! LOL

Are you taking some pics after you get it back together? I'm curiouse as to what style manifold you all choose to build. What wall thickness and material did you go with? I'm probably going to do my first one out of 1/16th thick Steel Sheet Metal (I have a good bit in the garage). After I get some money I'm thinking about 1/8th" 6061, or 4041 Aluminum Sheet Metal.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

JWMotorsports wrote:Sounds good....but you better knock on some wood!!!!

OH hell I have better things to do than wasting time worrying about superstitious nonsense. This baby will run. It all bolted together and will drop it in the car Thursday
Proud builder of
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
What

Post by What »

JWMotorsports wrote:Your runners aren't much shorter than mine after you stretch them out. :twisted:
?? I'm not that bad at visualization, and I'm pretty sure if you stretch #1,2 out it's not going to go past the head like yours. You probably should have had someone with the right tools weld up your manifold, I'd be scared to grind the welds down to make it 'pretty'. Don't quit your day job to fabricate just yet. I've got a cheap welder as well... holds just fine, but lots of funny comments arose from the welds. I feel it's my duty to pass that on. The collector may not be the best, but it is still radiused to match the pipes, and it looks short... I've used manifolds with similar collector before and it worked surprisngly well in comparison to everything from crappy log to that more like my current mani. It may not be the 'best' but I don't know if you could scientifically quantify it to being A LOT like you figure. If only it were easy as removing 1mm or 2 from a manifold to add 50hp.

minimonsters set up looks clean... experience and attention to detail generally allows people to get it done right the first time without gremlins. It's surprising that some race teams never really get it worked out though.

Return to “Forced Induction”