indicator not working

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
sloggy

indicator not working

Post by sloggy »

I'm having problems with my indicators, the left side is fine, but the right side has nothing, but the flasher unit goes at twice the normal speed. I've checked all bulbs but they're fine. Any ideas would be very welcome.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

most likely a relay and well re check your bulbs..I personally think its the relay. Dont know where thats at.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
sloggy

Post by sloggy »

thanks for your help, I'll check the relay
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The flasher unit is flashing fast because there is the incorrect electrical load on the indicator circuit. This is a design feature so as the driver knows their indicators aren't working correctly and will start flashing quickly even if only one bulb is blown.

You've checked the bulbs but it would be almost impossible they have all blown at the same time. First thing is to check if both sides work when you put the hazard lights on. Then check the connections at the flasher unit under the dash. (There is no other relay in this circuit - the flasher unit is it.)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

also when you check your lights..If you check them by hazzard thers still a change one bulb is blown even if it lights up..why? Because some (not sure in mx3) for some reason they have 2 contacts..meaning the blinker and hazzard are seperate (same bulb different wiring) so try putting the car on acc or when its start and put the blinker side that flashes fast.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

not sure in mx3) for some reason they have 2 contacts..meaning the blinker and hazzard are seperate (same bulb different wiring)
Same wiring, same relay - its managed electronically inside the flasher unit.

He needs to determine if he has a voltage on both the green/black and green/white wires on the flasher unit with the hazard lights on. This will prove whether the flasher unit is operating OK.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
sloggy

sorted

Post by sloggy »

Thanks for your help chaps, its the flasher unit playing up, I've tried another one and all's ok now, thanks for your help :P

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”