non starting and dead!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rodonnj

non starting and dead!

Post by rodonnj »

My '92 V6 has been great until a couple of weeks ago. I lent it to a friend and we had a hard freeze (I usually keep it in a garage and he had it outside). It hasn't started since and I've had it back in a warm garage for at least a week. It's got spark, it's got fuel, and compression is good. I checked for CEL codes and there aren't any. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor to no avail. checked the air intake for cracks and I can't see or feel any. Pulled the ST SIGN fuse and cranked and then put it back in and still nothing. It's a totally stock 5 speed.......nothing special! It has to be getting flooded as I crank because I can smell gas everywhere.....any ideas?

thanks!!!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ask your buddy how he f'ed it up, damn, nobody drives my cars
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Are you sure theres air getting into the VAF? The cone isn't jammed?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
rodonnj

Post by rodonnj »

I took it apart and it looked clear....filter looks brand new...

thanks,
RCaputi

Post by RCaputi »

fuel pump?
I had the same situation last week .....
rodonnj

Post by rodonnj »

I pulled the fuel line after the filter and cranked the engine and it squirted fuel like a fire hose! Listened to the fuel injectors and could hear them working as well.......I'm really stumped.

thinking about putting a shop lite on the engine and letting it set for a day to warm up (I don't have a block heater). or just getting frustrated and trying to crank it for an hour! the battery is amazingly strong!

thanks,
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

is it trying to turn over??......i had the same thing happen to me and after hours of being stimped...i figured out that my distributer cap had a litle moisture in it....so i just used a hair dryer for 5 minutes and it fired right up....may not hurt to try
andy

Post by andy »

Check the timing/timing belt. How old is the belt/tensioner?
Also check the sensor that picks up the signal down at the crank
pulley, forgot the name of it.

Andy P. 93 GS
rodonnj

Post by rodonnj »

Thanks so much for the assistance! It cranks just like always. Before, it would crank like twice and start everytime. Now it just cranks and cranks and cranks! must have a pretty good battery though! re: timing belt, I don't think that's it because I checked the compression in a couple of cylinders and it was at the high end of the spec about 190 psi.......on distributor cap, I replaced it and the rotor. It was funny, the rotor was kind of messed up (had like cuts in it from the underside). the distributor cap had little stress cracks by all of the screws so I figured may as well replace it anyway.....replaced all the spark plugs, added a quart of oil....and still nothing! when I crank it, you can smell gas all over the place. For good measure, I duct taped the rippled air intake even though I didn't see any cracks anywhere...I guess everyone else's looks like that so mine may as well too! I went through the manual and the only thing it said when going through the troubleshooting was to replace the ECM......I'm all out of ideas. it has to be something stupid.
andy

Post by andy »

I'm not sure you checked for spark but that should be one of the top 5 things to check for.
Compression is not a good indicator of a slipped timing belt, only a broken belt will have no compression.

Crank position sensor, thats the part I was describing earleir.

It could be the distributor if you have no spark.

Andy P. 93 GS
rodonnj

Post by rodonnj »

I've got good blue spark.......

timing could be the issue though......I haven't checked that and will do so.....

thanks!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”