Turbos

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jd9483

Turbos

Post by jd9483 »

hey, i have a 4 cyl DOHC MX-3. I plan on putting a turbo in it. but i also plan on putting a BP-T engine in my car later. My question is can i leave the turbo in that i will have in before the bpt, or will i need to get a new turbo that is compatible w/ the new engine? (and yes i am new) Oh and while your at it, what kind of turbo/ turbo kit should i get?

THANKS
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Only one turbo will bolt up to the GTX(bp-t) exhaust manifold which is the IHI VJ-20. Your first question is unclear to me. Do you want to turbo the stock engine with your turbo and later use it for the bp-t? That's fine as long as another exhaust manifold is made for the bp engine.

The 1.8 BP is 22mm longer than the B6 engine you have now so a new manifold must be made.

There is only one turbo kit being produced by racingmazda.com and it has not come out on the market yet.
jd9483

Post by jd9483 »

yea i want to be able to keep the turbo that will already be installed and not worry about buying a new one or new parts for it after the BP-T is installed.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Cannot be done. The B6 (your engine) can be turboed using a stock manifold and turbo off of a B6T. If you read the FAQ you can find out what cars that is in. If you go BPT it has a bigger manifold and turbo made for the different block (botice B6 and BP, two different blocks). If you build up your B6 and just a nice turb o setup off of that they work out nice. There is someoen on the forum named Josh that is doing this. I know thou that he has had problems with the funky 94+ MX-3 ECU and timing and whatnot. I think he will sooner or later go standalone. But if you are even willing to go BPT then don't even waste money on your B6. It is 1.6L and the BP is 1.8. So I would suggest you to just save and get the BPT sooner. The B6 is harder to build because to build it you use a lot of miata parts. And if you havn't looked, they are spendy. Not saying the BP/ protege parts are cheaper, just saying there is no replcement for displacement!
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

The B6T manifolds will not work on the SOHC engine, the bolt pattern is different, been there, tried that.

Stevo

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”