cheap K8 turbocharging

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
nope-mx3

cheap K8 turbocharging

Post by nope-mx3 »

I`m just playing around with the idea of turboing my K8.

1. it`s probably cheaper than getting a klze (shipping and stuff is just extreme to Norway)
2. it`s a bit higher on the "wow factor".

so, what I would need:

1: T28 turbo (or are there cheaper alternatives that would work?)
2: 190lph walbro pump
3: 8:1 fmu

Not gonna run any more than 0.5 bar of boost, so I wont need an intercooler.
Don`t think I will run out of fuel on the stock injectors either, but if anyone disagrees, let me know :)

Are there other things I would need?
Oh, and how expensive would these parts be?
It`s supposed to be a budget kit :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

a dsm turbo would work good on the k8 imo..and you can get them for cheap too..
I think you will run out of fuel with the 180cc injectors..I made a little math the other day and I found out that 220cc on a ze are almost use at their full potential according to some formulas I found on the web..jsut to be sure I would get the 220cc from any 2.5L and you can found them for almost nothing too..
if you want to change your pump to a walbro 190lph might as well get the 255lph it's the same price anyways..plan ahead if you want to upgrade
you'll need a bov. take the one from the 1gen dsm.they are better qualtity than the 2gen and you can find it for around 20-30$
a 8:1 fmu seems fair..the vortech fmu is the cheaper is saw but for tuning reasons I would get the cartech. You can change to rising rate by turning a screw instead of changing discs like the vortech.
I know this and you know this..piping will be a pain in the butt. If you want to save cash build the pipes yourself using stock manifolds.
that's all I can think right now. If something comes up I'll let you know.
good luck with the project
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Thanks man :)

So I could score some 220cc injectors from a kl_de?
Are there other injectors that I could use?

Regarding the pipes, I would need a new collector pipe to the turbo, and from the turbo to the exhaust, the biggest issue would be to install a IC.

I`ll start looking for parts, as this would be a pretty fun project :)

nope-mx3
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

would shipping from japan be still expensive for klze? since its same continent
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Shipping from Japan would be expensive yes.
Probably about the same as from Usa.

There is a guy on the forum from Holland, who imports klze`s, but the problem would be to get it street-legal here.

With a turbo, it`s pretty easy to get it to stock, but with a ze, I`d have to swap engine.

with a turbo on little or no boost, I could probably get it street-legal for maybe $1000, but with a ze it would cost me about $5000, the big man has taxes for everything....

nope-mx3
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

kl injector bad chose it will always fun real rich unless you have a stand alone unit to controle them. I try every thing short of the stand alone even ran it with no fpr and the pressure from just the pump alone ran it rich off of boost. Stick with the k8 injectors and go with a rrfpr or extra injetcor that cycle on only during boost.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

that's another idea but the guy want to keep is costs low...I don't see how 220 can run you rich all the time if you have the proper equipemenet to control them . I mean with my cartech 2025 I can adjust base fuel pressure (at idle) like a ordiniary fpr so this way you can run it stoich at idle..and play with the rate so it doesn't get too rich when on boost...I don't see how you could go wrong there.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

yes i have a cartech 2025 to, the problem is the ecu dosnt know you have bigger injetcors in there so it still opean them at the same rate. So the only way to change the amount of fuel is to drop the base line fuel pressure well you can only drop the carteck to the stock fuel pressure so thats no good. Next step take out stock fpr and drop the carteck base line right down well the lowest it will go is the pressure of the fuel pump and on a 190hp welbro pump that is 36 psi and that still runnning rich. It will slowy mess up your o2 and that will cause your ecu to pump more fuel making it even worse its one big cycle. Jeff had the same problem when he put bigger injector in the kl he went back to stock and 2 extra injector cant remeber the name of the controle unit think it was simple somthing. But if he is only running 5 psi a cartech 2025 will be fine.

99 vitara 4x4
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

yeah in my case I took off the oem fpr and replace it with an adapter like mbx sells. mm I didn't know you couldn't go lower than 36psi with the 190lph. is that with the cartech fully unscrew (no pressure)? that would mean the pressure is created by the injectors themsleves. mmm I'm going to have a hard time tuning my 370cc
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

I have a walbro 190 and in my mx6 I got the pressure as low as 20 psi with this pump. There is no problem getting fuel pressures lower than 36 psi if you have a good AFPR. What I did to get 20 psi, was took my stock FPR and cut the top off (the part that holds the spring) with a dremel. this gives you about 20-25 psi. Try it out for yourself if you dont believe me. Just make sure its a spare FPR, dont cut up your only one.

If you want to run the 220cc KL injectors, drop your pressure down to 28 psi and you will flow the same as the 180's on stock fuel pressure. Cut the top off your FPR and that should give you exactly what you're looking for, if anything a tad lean at idle and cruising. Then use an FMU to get the fuel pressure up where ya need it in boost. Should make for a perfect, cheap fuel alternative. :)

As far as using a T28, at least go with a T3. T28's are harder to find and more expensive around here. Not sure about where you live, but a T3 should be the same.

As for piping, do they have muffler shops there? You could scavage their dumpsters, sometimes there are good rust free mandral bends in the shape and size you can use. Cost = free
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Well thats what i did but i use a pipe cuter insted of a dremel and took the spring out. By the way there is 2 types a 190 welbro fuel pumps normal and high pressure im running the hp one.

99 vitara 4x4
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

I see, you're right. I have the 190 regular. Never tried a HP one. Right now half assed tuning Im at about 310 crank hp (268 whp) and still running nice and rich.

mrspanky do you have any pics of your kit? id love to see another v6 turboed, theres not enough of us :)
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

theres some floating around out and i do have lots just no way to post them but if your that interested i can send them to you my msn is mrspanky79(at)hotmail.com

99 vitara 4x4

Return to “Forced Induction”