VICS=hype

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

VICS=hype

Post by Shady469 »

So, i went to the junkyard today and got an intake manifold off of a BP. i figured i could port and polish it and then install it when i had time. Well i took off the upper portion and was imediately puzzled. The VICS system was nothing like i imagined it. It turns out the additional air that comes from the butterflies opening comes from a 1"x1" square opening on the #2 runner that is normally blocked off and when VICS is engaged it is distributed back into the stream through the now open butterflies. To begin with the ports are tiny and then to top it off its only getting air it should be in the first place. I thought it would be similar to the butterflies on the Integra GSR motors. I understand that this system causes some resonance and im sure along the line it was thought to be the best of both worlds but IMO the design is garbage.
So, I promptly unplugged the vacuum line going to the canister and plugged the port on the solenoid: leaving the butterflies open all the time. I had read on the protege forums that this caused drivability issues but i have had none so far. it doesnt feel any less peppy down low and it picks up speed alot faster. Now, i can't say that i gained or lossed any hp/tq b/c im only working with a butt dyno. HOWEVER, on the S-AFC the average max the VAF used to open was around 86% now its around 91% (with as high as 95%). So its flowing a bit more air that it certain.
I'm not saying every one with a BP should do this i'm just saying i did it and like the results.
PS the SOHC tach is also garbage: when i shift right before 7k the S-AFC only reads ~6,500. I guess its better for the motor but frustrating none the less.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Keep us updated on this... let us know of any problems or any other details!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

on my bp i love the vics system, it good low end grunt and when it gets up there you can feel it pull. You can run open vics if you want but its not recommended. The system is made to distribute the air, and you'd have to see the air maps (which the engineers have) to see how the air travels. I'm port and polishing my spare intake manifold also and i see it as it was made that way for a reason. If you have the fuel & spark to match the extra air from the open butterflies, you could definitely see some gains, but if you dont i'd personally leave the vics on. Its as close to vtec as we can go,hahaha. That really sucks about the tach, i wish i knew, but im getting my safc soon for my turbo, so i'll see if its true on mine too. Anyways take it easy and have fun with the bp. []Deace
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Could you do the same on the 1.6L dohc??
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

fuel and spark arent really issues for me: nology wires, jacobs ice pak, tuned rx-7 vaf, s-afc, and a 255lph fuel pump. idealy i think if you were to leave the butterflies open all the time you should block off that small hole in the #2 runner (if you take it apart you know what im talking about) so the air is distributed through all the cylinders evenly. since i have the extra manifold i might go ahead and take out the butterflies completely and block the hole. I think flyin miata did that on the Track Dog and hogged out the entire manifold so its just a strait through manifold design. But seeing as how its a high horsepower F/I motor i wouldnt do that on an N/A motor. but keeping all 8 (standard and vics) runners in tact and removing the butterflies should still yeild the same peak hp if not more and have more horsepower earlier in the powerband. true this is more of a set-up for drag but like i said i havent had any issues so far with it "engaged" all the time. i'll post some pics of the manifold when im done.
ps. i dont know a whole lot about the DOHC mx-3 motors so i couldnt say.
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
Jteezy

Post by Jteezy »

i dont know man, i'm leaving mine alone. The bp powerband is smooth, and its not like your losing any power because of it. The motor peaks at 6800 and when your getting more air in at peak powerpoint, it helps. Post pics when you get it done. And why are you running so much fuel on the bp, you gonna turbo it or something? The rx7 vaf is OK, nothing super noticeable though. Peace
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Hey Shady, they have found that there is something like 2hp gain in leaveing the VICS open the whole time. But you lose like 3 lbs of torque. From the Dyno's on clubprotege.com if I remember. But what has been found to be real cool is taking a 2nd gen Dynamic Chamber (top part of manifold) and mating it with the 1st gen Manifold (both BP engines) that it has bigger VIC butterflys, smoother flow, is bigger, and you gain quit a bit. That is what I remember anyways.... But Ya, Vics is explained in very high detail like every other week on that forum. Go check it out.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

I've read over numerous posts about it. I think at some point down the road i'll try the 2nd gen intake manifold. And as far as why i have so much fuel: its the left over stuff from the b6t, i'd rather be safe than sorry.
Here are some pics of the spare manifold after i messed with it:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/494847/2
i did more polishing than actual porting, so i wouldn't lose alot of torque. The only thing i really have left to do is plug the hole in the runner and the one where the rod with the butterflies went the side of the manifold.I also ported the TB (enough to knock the ridge down while mantaining a velocity stack). it will probably be a while until i install everything, may tweek it some more but ill let you all know how it does.

On a side note: i am happy giving up some tq. for hp for two reasons: with my clutch.flywheel set-up its hard not to spin a little just taking off like normal, and when i can track it and am racing i kill people out of the hole, its the top end that kills me (ie 8k+ redlines= stupid hondas).
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”