Winter Driving

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
FoxyDragon

Winter Driving

Post by FoxyDragon »

ok...Winter is coming up and this is my first full year in Colorado, which we all know gets its share of snow. I would like to know if there is anything special I should use/ know to keep my MX-3 in the great condition it is in now. This car came up from Texas, so i dont think shes ever even seen snow. The color is in good condition (am doing touch-ups before it snows) and the only thing "wrong" with my car is I need to get the coolant flushed. Engine is super clean, and I just want to keep her looking this good. NO- I do not have a garage/carport, so thats not an option. and NO- I cant put her away for the winter. PLease help? Image Thanx! <><><><> and kisses!<P>------------------<BR>Owner of 93 Raspberry MX-3 GS Special Edition
Last Time Politics Entered Religion People Got Burned At The Stake
KWK MX3

Re: Winter Driving

Post by KWK MX3 »

living in canada we have our fair share of heavy winters as in colorodo. the mx3 performs excellent in the snow with a good set of winter tires. i can say that it handles in the snow like a rally car. it carves through the turns like a snowboard, pivoting on its mid point. oversteer (believe me it can!)and understeer are easily controlled with steering and throttle.<P>as for the finish(mmm, raspberry) i would get it rust proofed due to the road salt. mine is a 92 and has ZERO rust. i would get an undercoating as well. protection is never enough.<P>i would also suggest a good set of winter wiper blades. they have a rubber sleeve over the metal wiper and prevents ice and snow from sticking.<P>if the car doesnt have a block heater(coming from texas i dont see why it would) i would get one. if not a 100 watt lighbulb under the hood will keep the crankcase oil warm and toasty. just be sure not to put it next to anything that would melt. <P>thats about it fellow precidian<P>happy mx3ing<P>and one more thing i want your seats!!!!
KWK MX3
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

good winter tire sizes<P>195 60 15<P>they are a hell of a lot cheaper than <P>205 55 15 and work just as fine.<P>its the same size tire just a cm narrower
KWK MX3
FoxyDragon

Post by FoxyDragon »

Thank you so much for the advice, and knowing there are tires for a cheaper price helps too! Image I appreciate all info...<><><><><> Never can know too much! I will check on the block heater and plan on buying winter blades soon. It snowed the other day, so I will be doing all this soon... Image
KingFisher

Post by KingFisher »

Hey wusUP ,, Having lived in CANADA my whole life (only 20 years) but I know that the most important thing you can do for your special edition is get it UNDERCOATED. Mine last year cost 100 bucks but it was oil coated which is the best. This will keep your car totally rust proof,,, Good luck with the snow girl....<P>ANDREW*
ANDREW*<BR>1996 Mazda MX-3 GS
FoxyDragon

Post by FoxyDragon »

I am making an appointment to have it undercoated within the next two weeks.. Image Thank you for the advice. Just wish it was cheaper. *le sigh* but dont we all need more money? lol<P>------------------<BR>Owner of 93 Raspberry MX-3 GS Special Edition
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FoxyDragon:<BR><B>I am making an appointment to have it undercoated within the next two weeks.. Image Thank you for the advice. Just wish it was cheaper. *le sigh* but dont we all need more money? lol<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wouldn't drive it in winter...if i were u..<BR>does ur mx has heated seats?<BR>Mx-3 GS limited edition owner...happy as they all are...<BR>
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

i wouldnt drive it in the winter because it is an SE<P>but people are different in their opinion.<P>i still think that the mx3 is a great winter car if well prepared. i get excited when i know that that winter is coming. I wrote a song to the tune of jingle bells:<P>Drifting sideways through the snow,<BR>In a done up mx3... he he he<P>------------------<BR>KWK MX3<BR>RED '92 2.5L GSR
KWK MX3
FoxyDragon

Post by FoxyDragon »

ok...first off...the car says its a GS, but thats besides the point hun....<P>I wish I didnt have to drive it in the snow, but I have no choice. I can not afford to buy a seperate winter car, but im so glad that you can. That is why Im asking what I should do to prepare this car for winter. <BR>And yes.. Image I do have heated seats. I had to reconnect them due to the fact the previous owner lived in Texas and didnt need them. they also feel good after a hard workout! lolololol<P>*please no fighting*<P>------------------<BR>Owner of 93 Raspberry MX-3 GS Special Edition
KWK MX3

Post by KWK MX3 »

I know its a GS<BR>and SE means SPECIAL EDITION, hun!<BR>You have THE ONLY MX3 model with leather heated seats<P>I too have no other winter car so......<P>------------------<BR>KWK MX3<BR>RED '92 2.5L GSR
KWK MX3
FoxyDragon

Post by FoxyDragon »

LOL!!! oooppppssss.....my fault....lololol!! Sorry, didnt know you ment Special Edition.... Gotta give a gyrl a break sometimes... Image Im kinda new (few yers) to the whole car thing, but this car I have now motivates me to REALLY get into it... Anyone else have any suggestions for the winter??? Would be appeciated!!! Image<P><><><><><><><><> and kisses!!<P>------------------<BR>Owner of 93 Raspberry MX-3 GS Special Edition
gothon2

Post by gothon2 »

I live in colorado myself and i dont really have any problems. The car handles surprisingly well in the snow despite being so light. If you plan on going up in the mountins a lot get chains for your tires. One of your main concers about driving around is not your own car but the insane morons in SUV's and huge trucks who think they can go 80 in 50 zones during the winter becouse they have 4x4. Iv been almost killed more then once becouse of them. <P>Good luck,<P>Greg<BR> 93 auto RS
FoxyDragon

Post by FoxyDragon »

Nice to meet a fellow Colorado person! :) I dont plan on going into the mountains with my car, but I do have chains just in case! :) Thanx for the advice....now I know 3 MX-3ers in CO. LOLOL!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”