New CLutch Needed? Plz Help!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3parkerGS

New CLutch Needed? Plz Help!

Post by MX3parkerGS »

ok, i own a 93 mx-3 gs, and ive had it for over a year now, but now when i shift gears, i just dont feel as good of a 'grip' anymore when i go into gears. but then it gets worse, im now at the point to where i dont need to press my clutch in when i shift! :(, i still press it in though cause i know that cant be good on the tranny, but it is now possible to shift my gears w/o the clutch, so im assuming i need a whole new clutch kit? or?

THANKYOU!!!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yep. You can ask for the clutch kit for a 93 MX6 or Ford Probe V6. They'll fit, but they're also 10mm larger with a little better grip.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

lol...dont worry thats normal...and well yeah clutches are usually changed every year so why not? also..well my car has always been able to shift without pressing the clutch..this transmission is so smooth and i have learned to shift at the right rpms that u cant even hear it...still I rather use the clutch because well it is there for a reason. :P Also I have heard that not using the clutch even if "floating gears" correctly puts a strain on your syncros..so dojnt do it. I do it once in a while to leave my friends in awe :P havent done it in over 6 months now.. i want this car to lasta while. Also are you sure its the clutch? could also be the engine just not having the power it used to have? when a clutch dies usually you hear rattling or grinding and the smell of burnt clutch.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

If the clutch is slipping, you will see the revs rise as you press the gas pedal, but the car's speed will barely alter. That's how to judge.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

hgallegos915 wrote:lol...dont worry thats normal...and well yeah clutches are usually changed every year so why not?
My clutch is the origonal on the car which is 10 years old and still functions perfectly. If your changing a clutch every year there is something wrong.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have not had experience with mazdas but in my maxima it had to be every year..of course it is a v6 3.0 race engine so i guess thats why. In the mx3 on a k8 im not sure...10 years? dang... I wouldnt at LEAST consider changing it every 2 or 3 years to get the best perf.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

hgallegos915 wrote:I wouldnt at LEAST consider changing it every 2 or 3 years to get the best perf.
I've owned 4 stickshift cars. The only one that ever needed a clutch replacement was the one I learned to drive stick on. The Sentra had 130K miles when I sold it, the Tercel had 90K miles on it when I sold it, and my MX3 has 110K miles on it so far, and the clutch is fine. If you drive a stick properly, your clutch bearings should wear out before your clutch disc.
andy

Post by andy »

I recently bought an exedy clutch kit for the probe gt/MX-6. You should be able to find one near you or online for a reasonable price.
The only reason I am replacing the clutch is thanks to the pilot bearing the car will randomly not come out of gear. Upon inspection My suspicions were confirmed. the pilot bearing is binding up. The clutch disk was worn but still good, measured 7.20mm thick.
The throwout bearing also felt like turds. So I'm with Lakersfan1, if driven properly the bearings will fail before the clutch.

Andy P. 93 GS original owner,150,000 miles.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”