!!!!!!! TECH HELP! I'M ABOUT TO BUY MX-3!!!!!!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CaliGirl

!!!!!!! TECH HELP! I'M ABOUT TO BUY MX-3!!!!!!!!

Post by CaliGirl »

Hi fellow auto-buffs!

I’m about to buy a 1992 MX-3 for $1200-1500. I'm looking to buy it in 2 days if my research comes back is positive.

I wanted to get pointers before I buy it. Is there any possible ailments this model might have that I should mechanically check? The car has 222,000mi on it that translates to 17k/year, kinda high, but freeway miles. Its a 4cyl. Automatic. I'm really excited to get a new project car, but this car is in AWESOME mechanical condition, so I hope it stays awesome if ya catch my drift!

Also please recommend some quick upgrades to get the most out of this car? Both, engine performance and body kit!

Thanks for any time or info you might be able to pass onto me : )
:welder:
Primer...the color of potential
--------------------------------
1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton stepside 235ci

1964 Chevy Corvair 140HP

1998 Dodge Dakota 4cyl
johnboi85

Re: !!!!!!! TECH HELP! I'M ABOUT TO BUY MX-3!!!!!!!!

Post by johnboi85 »

try the search feature. many information can be found by that alone. hope you become one of the few mx-3 freaks lol :2thumbsup:
bp mx-3
CaliGirl

Re: !!!!!!! TECH HELP! I'M ABOUT TO BUY MX-3!!!!!!!!

Post by CaliGirl »

Originally posted by johnboi85:
try the search feature. many information can be found by that alone. hope you become one of the few mx-3 freaks lol :2thumbsup:
Thx JOHN, I've been researching all weekend. I just dont want to find out that MX-3 are notorious for shooting pistons out the side of the engine block ya know hahaha

Peace out!
Primer...the color of potential
--------------------------------
1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton stepside 235ci

1964 Chevy Corvair 140HP

1998 Dodge Dakota 4cyl
jplar

Post by jplar »

The automatic transmissions have a poor track record. I can't say anything from personal experience, but this issue can be improved by a atx cooler kit.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

200k+ on an mx3 auto tranny, if it hasn't been rebuilt/replaced, it will be soon. do compression and leakdown tests to give you an idea of condition of the motor.

also, unless you plan on doing a tranny swap, don't look to get too many extra ponies out of it. especially with as many miles on it.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

So did you get the car?

also if you havent..check to see what they have replaced. Thats ALOT of miles :S remove the plugs and check for oil, do a compression test. Check for leaks, I would imagine the struts are shot? If they are highway miles well theres a chance this engine is good..even if it isnt well 1500 is a good price dont you think? Later on you can get a new engine for around 300 - 600 ebay? Now transmission alot of people say it breaks down...We have an automatic and have had it for 5 years with no problems..of course my mom drives this car altough she has a heavy foot..this car has never seen the track and never will. Its just a car to take her to work and back..period. If thats what you want in a car well Id say go for it. If its for race....um nah you can do better. Be prepared to swap something just in case. Ask for warranty :P they gave me 6 month warranty on my gs and the car never broke down :/ My moms car broke down once because the timing belt snapped...REPLACE THIS if you buy it and if its a dohc ( i forgot which is the one you are getting, dohc or 1.6? o.0 )
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”