NEW EXHAUST

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
matt-gerrard
Supporting Member

NEW EXHAUST

Post by matt-gerrard »

I just spoke to derrick at Corksport last night they're trying to come up with a new exhaust system for the mx-3 it's on the drawing broad. However, he also said that the v6 turbo is still in the thought process..... :( :crying: .....I want I need I desire to go fast .......M
I just love the cars that we have no matt-er(lol) how little or much you do to them there all so beautiful!Drive it, like you stole it!'92 gs V6
http://www.dfwmazdas.com/vbulletin/imag ... 1148070546
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Re: NEW EXHAUST

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

I'd be in if it was a 2.5" stainless setup with a hi-flo cat hi-flo resonator 3 peice system with a nice non ricey muffler .
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I'd be in if it was a 2.5" stainless setup with a hi-flo cat hi-flo resonator 3 peice system with a nice non ricey muffler .
thats EXACTLY what i was gonna say :2thumbsup:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Having complete system being hand made by A-Spec (as I speak) to compliment the 2.5 conversion and header. Should be picking it up this weekend .....can't wait!!! :froggie_red:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i am not trying to cut anyone down or anything this is just me i guess, but why spend alot of money on something like that when you can go to a shop in town and they will run you exhaust and just pipe it all the way back to a muffler that you get to pick ? i am just asking what the advantage wiht getting an acually brand name cat-back system is
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

because they are mandrel bend and not crush bent like 99% muffler shops do
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I hear ya M92. A-Spec is using neither method. Using 2.5 SS and says will not defeat integrity of SS. :idea:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Well I guess I can just make my own exhaust then if you really want to get technical about price, its not that difficult of a exhaust to make , and it would be under 200 dollars with the muffler piping and mandrel bends I just priced it out. This is using 2.5 SS 16 guage pipe, with pre bent weld on mandrels , a Glasspack resonator(which I already had) and a Magnaflow muffler and Cat , I priced everything off ebay , the toughest part to do is over the rear axle .
Kris
I think I will tackle this project and let you guys know , maybe make a couple for you local guys , (Your Muffler CAT amd resonator of choice.)
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i don't like pre-made bolt on systems...

fist of all, a custom system is relatively cheap to make (probably about the same as an aftermarket cat-back, but maybe a tad more), while giving you better performance and more freedom to create EXACTLY what you want, as opposed to just settling w/ what a manufacturer decided was a good choice for your particular car... i say always go custom (at least for our type of car)... most things you get from an aftermarket manu. will be ricey and/or sucky quality... in the cases this is not true (like i hear the brullen is an excellent system), u definitely pay for it, as demonstrated by the brullen (which i think is $600 on corksport, in which case custom would be cheaper)

just my $.02
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
wickedmx3

Post by wickedmx3 »

Mandrel bent, crush bent, as far as the exhaust system goes, how much of a difference are we speaking of performance wise? The difference must be almost nothing, unless your trying to build some beast and trying to eak out every single last drop of HP you can get your greedy hands on, and in such a case, wouldn't you have the money and or desire to find the 1% of places that will mandrel bend the exhaust for you?

And think, for such a relatively small market, even if someone came out with the catback, how much will this cost? You can expect it to cost much more than a piece of the same quality for a Honda or Acura or whatever.

Let's face facts, people talk about customizing cars, I go to 20 to 30 shows a year and hear about it all the time, then you look at their cars and more often than not, you find, tons and tons of parts they were just bought off a shelf and put on, thats a fact and they call their call customized. Well it is, but then again, does it compare to the shaving that goes into every kit made for the MX-3, or the custom rack and slides to put in aftermarket seats, how about loosing your rear seat belts becuase you want to put in a rear tower bar, custom pipes for turbos and that includes swapping out engines that are already turbo, custom turbos becuase there are no kits, custom intercoolers, custom headlights cause they dont make any for our cars, and yes, custom exhaust systems.

They have customized cars...we have CUSTOMIZED adventures, course it is hard for them to see that since they view is obstructed by the dust we left them in.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

You could order mandrel U-Bends and take them to the muffler shop and ask them to use them instead of crush bending the straight pipes. I did that years ago when I didn't have a welder.

Crush bends reduce the radius quite a bit. I had crush bent exhaust on my turbo car at first. Then had the muffler shop cut out all the crush bends and replace them with the mandrel bends I supplied. There was a pretty noticable gain in power from 4000-Red Line and the turbo spooled up a bit quicker.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

matt-gerrard wrote:I just spoke to derrick at Corksport last night they're trying to come up with a new exhaust system for the mx-3 it's on the drawing broad. However, he also said that the v6 turbo is still in the thought process.....
Updates??
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

wickedmx3 wrote: how about loosing your rear seat belts becuase you want to put in a rear tower bar,
I didn't loose my seatbelts when I put in my RSTB. Had to do a little cutting on the metal bracket they bolt too.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

hppwdn wrote:
wickedmx3 wrote: how about loosing your rear seat belts becuase you want to put in a rear tower bar,
I didn't loose my seatbelts when I put in my RSTB. Had to do a little cutting on the metal bracket they bolt too.
That's all I had to do too. Pretty simple and straight forward actually.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

the 2 main differences between the aftermarket and goin to ur local exhaust shop is 1) aftermarket is mandrel bend(already stated) 2) aftermarket exhaust is made from stainless steel while exhaust shops use i think normal steel or aluminized and this type will rust fast while the stainless obviously doesnt rust. the aftermarkets r usually more expensive but its worth the extra money if u plan to keep ur exhaust piping for a long time.

Return to “New Product Development”