Map lighting

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Map lighting

Post by Grants »

Maybe someone previously has disconnected the door switches so the chime didn't drive them mad? I might do that myself....

Don't forget the chime will only work with the keys in the ignition in the off or accessories position.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

damnit took it to mazda dealer...43 bucks and they didnt find anything...guy says its probably a ground wire...whatever screw it I'll install some custom lights and hardwire them to that switch or something...dont feel like figureing out where the hell the problem is...dude from mazda did the exact same thing I did I saw him test the exact same points with a multimeter etc...waste of 43 bucks the switchs are fine they just aint grounded... >.<
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

dont' forget the door frame are the ground points....for them to guess it would be ground wire, sheesh :)

Do the lights come on if you pull out the switches, pull out the wire at the back of the switches and stick the wire onto the frame?

E
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

tried that they dont turn on at all...its gotta be a wire problem...duno??? (they function properly...just not by the door)...I also reciently tried a different headlamp unit all together...it wasnt the problem at all (mine functions) just the damn door switches dont...
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

To prove that it is a problem with the wiring between the door switch and the light you could bridge out the door switch in the light to ground and the lights should come on.

The colours may vary between models but the drawing I have shows 3 wires at the light -
blue / red
red / white
black

If these are the colours you have, the red / white wire is the one to bridge to ground. Make sure you select "door" on the light unit when you do this.

<small>[ October 05, 2004, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

thats what I got too Ill go test it now and then post some pics of my visors creation...I duno if the pics will turn out its dark out right now...
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Why would you want the ding-ding for?! That's the first thing i disconnect! Just have to remember to turn the lights off lol!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
TysonB

Post by TysonB »

ok the lights turn on so it is a grounding wire problem...and its not so much the ding-ding as the lights...I mean I'd like to see when I open the door at night and I drive alot at night...thanks for the tip man...ill be fixin it in the morning if I can get up...and face the cold... :crying: I hate cold
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Yeah, gotta admit it's a PITA trying to get the key in the ignition without the lil green light!
The connector for the door chime etc is under the fuse box, just in case you don't know already
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”