No daytime running lights or highbeams

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

No daytime running lights or highbeams

Post by MX-3 Money »

My normal lights work fine, but just now as I was having some fun on the back roads, my highbeams quit working. Now when I got it home and parked, i turned off the car, let it sit with out the e-brake on to see if i in fact lost my daytime runners as well and I did, but then I heard this fast ticking for under the glove box for a little box. So is this a regulator or something and all I need to do is replace it?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
n_o_s_21

Re: No daytime running lights or highbeams

Post by n_o_s_21 »

my running lights make that box make the same ticking noise. Someone on here told me to change the module but I still have high beams so I never got around to it yet. Apperantley its just a fried resistor or something. nothing serious. a wrecker should have the parts you need.
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

LOL, I remember back in the day, early 90s lol
I worked at the ford dealership in pickerin Ont, Everyone was trying to kill thier daytime running lights, wacking the black box with wrenches,hitting them with high voltage ..etc trying to burn them out to get rid of the daytime running lights.

Eugene L
1.6DOHC
N.S.canada
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The DRL module is under the hood on the drivers side next to the wiper motor and battery. If there is a clicking on the passanger kick panel the you probably habe a relay with a burned contact and needs to be replaced.
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Originally posted by Yoda:
The DRL module is under the hood on the drivers side next to the wiper motor and battery. If there is a clicking on the passanger kick panel the you probably habe a relay with a burned contact and needs to be replaced.
True and false. The relay and the module is under the glove box beside the passenger kick plate. The module you're referring to is the power resistor to dim down the high beams.

As far as troubleshooting those would be some places for you to start poking. I'll check my diagram tonight when I get home from work.

Eugene
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Hey thanks guys, figured it was just that box that needs to be replaced, and you guys reconfirmed it. Hey Ehpl thats funny about ppl wrecking the box...lol.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Does the US vesion of the 95 mx-3 RS have DRL??? I just assumed we didnt have them because my lights do not turn on automatically.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
Does the US vesion of the 95 mx-3 RS have DRL??? I just assumed we didnt have them because my lights do not turn on automatically.
Nope. Luc's GSR site has a page on how you could run em though...
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

You are correct about the power resistor. Looking at my set of wiring schematics the DRL module is next to the relay on the same bracket on the passenger side kickpanel.

I remember back in the mid '90 being pulled over by American cop and being told to turn off my lights when driving during the day because it was unsafe. Most accepted the fact that my car is canadian registered and it is a DOT requirement here. One hardnose cop insisted that the DRL be disabled before allowing me to continue. Fortunately in the earlier Mazda products all you have to do is pull the fuse on the power resistor.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”