PLEASE HELP!!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
axess

PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by axess »

ok, I try again...<BR>My charge battery light comes on once in a while. Most of the time it's when i'm at a red light and when it's dark and my headlights are on. The indicator flickers and as soon as i start moving it disappears...<P>I've check alternator and battery, both a supposed to be fine.<P>What I can i do ?
Stephane '96 Blaze Red RS
Jesse

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by Jesse »

check the connections on the battery, making sure no corrosion. Also,check that the ground side of the battery has a good connection to the chassis.
axess

Post by axess »

I did clean the battery terminals with sandpaper...no success, i will check the chassis ground to see if there's anything I can do.<P>thanks
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

My mx-3 did that one day and I thought it was the alternator so I went to a garage but on my way, it stopped doing it. At the garage they sais my battery and alternator were in "like new" condition. It's been 4-5 months and I never had the problem again. Sorry I can't help you<P>------------------<BR>Brainless<BR>93 Red RS<BR><A HREF="http://www.Geocities.com/j_micho" TARGET=_blank>geocities.com/j_micho</A> (last update 30/07/2001)
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
axess

Post by axess »

Ok, so i'm about to take the car to the garage to get them to fix it. I would like to avoid that, I hate taking my car in...<P>I'm no mecanic, so I'll try my best to explain this. I found a screw that on the throttle body (I hope thats the right thing), anyways, it's tha part where the air intake goes to the top of the engine. What is that screw ? I think it's the idle control, am I right ? I'm pretty sure the problem is the Idle, cause my idle hangs around 600rpm, as soon as I give it a little gas the charge light turns off...<P>I'm gonna give it one or two more days, after that it's to the garage it goes...<P>Any other toughts,<P>Thanks for all your help
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

Hey axcess, you've hit the nail on the head. Just adjust the idle screw until you're in at 750rpm's[+ or - 50] and you won't end up buying a new battery like I had to do yesterday..Manny
axess

Post by axess »

Here I go again Image<P>Ok so adjusting the screw doesn't seem to change much. I think idle now a days are controled by the car computer, and that there is a procedure to bypass the computer.<P>If so, what is the procedure to bypass the ECU ? <P>Also i noticed that when unscrewing this, I hear an air leak, I don't think this is normal, so i tightend it until it stopped. <BR>Maybe i got a loose vacum somewhere ?<P>Still got the battery problem...
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

axcess mon ami, go to the online shop manual, there you'll find the procedure for this adjustment; what you hear when you turn the screw is what happens when you 'choke' [not THE choke like starting the car cold] off the air supply....it's wheezing. Good kuck..Manny ??? kuck??? LUCK! arevois.<p>[This message has been edited by mendel00985 (edited September 03, 2001).]
axess

Post by axess »

Mendel, Thanks for your help!<P>Ok so I did set the idle at 750 rpm. It did a quick test drive with everything on, defrost, heater, hi-beams, all of it. Guess what happened...Nothing, the light didn't come on, I wont get to excited, it happened to many times that i tought i fixed my problem only to see it happen later. <P>About the "weezing" is that sound normal, now I can hear it all the time, I just want to make sure I didn't fix something just to brake something else...<P>
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

No, I don't think that you've broken anything. Just enjoy the ride!
axess

Post by axess »

I knew it, I still does it!<P>Ok I figure maybee the battery does need recharging after I used the car with the warning on.<P>Should I try to recharge the battery ?<P>Could I be completly off track with this problem, cause the light is not totaly on, it kind of flickers, very dim to bright, to off...<P>thanks again!
axess

Post by axess »

I got some voltage readings on the car :<BR>Battery with engine off : 12.9v<BR>with engine on : 14.1v<BR>drain when everything off 0.06amps<P>how does this sound ?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”