Opinions on best fog light...

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
KU MX-3

Opinions on best fog light...

Post by KU MX-3 »

Hey, like the post says i was just wondering which 2.5 to 3" fogs you guys thought work the best. I want to put them in the stock bumper cut out. Also, was install a problem for anyone?

**Has installing fog lights helped significantly increase your lighting? :shrug:
Taras

Re: Opinions on best fog light...

Post by Taras »

Moved to Lighting...
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by KU MX-3:
**Has installing fog lights helped significantly increase your lighting? :shrug:
Only in the fog...
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
KU MX-3

Post by KU MX-3 »

Ha, of course it helps in the fog... i was just wondering if it helped in normal driving. It just doesn't seem like i get that much light from the headlights. I put new silverstar bulbs in them... but it is still not that great. I just thought i would see if anyone bought fog lights they have been happy with...
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Ha, of course it helps in the fog... i was just wondering if it helped in normal driving.
Typically fog lights are focused on low and close-to-bumper area so you can drive slow and see what's directly in front of you in heavy fog. Aiming the light relative low compared to headlight, say, means the beams will have a high angle of reflection in clear weather and this could be problematic for you or other drivers, especially on clear day with wet grounds. And lightingwise they could be disappointing if you want to use them to support your headlights.

If you want better lighting in day-to-day driving, you can consider auxilliary low beams. They're the ones you see on newer-ish car where they have two lights on the bumper when theyhave thier headlights on. Two aftermarket makers for aux. lows exists; Hella XL and Sylvania Xenarc. Unfortunately Hella XL's been discontinued and can only be found in a few places and ebay from time to time, and Xenarc are HID's to costs 400 bones or so.

If you drive in dark places and use your high beams a lot, you can consider getting driving lights. They're meant to complement your brights and could be really effective depending on your choice. But! if used inappropriately you can blind just about anyone driving past you.

There are other ways to improve your headlights efficiency if you haven't done so already; upping the wattage of your bulbs, run the headlights directly from battery via relays, polish your lenses if they're yellow and hazy or retrofitting ( :) ). The possibilities are endless and can get one really hooked on the subject.

Eugene
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

lol...
i put on some fog lights.. DLAA some crap (its on my webpage somewhere if u wanna look). they come with lil blue lights and fog lights in each housing. pretty small size, and on the road they light it up a lot! probably 2-3 feet in distance, but a whole lot on the sides! i've never seen a difference when using them in the fog.. maybe at night tho. :D
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

also buff ur head lights......w/rubbing compound or plastic cleaner...it brightens em up a little
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Taras

Post by Taras »

You know that it is illegal to use fog lights at night unless it is foggy.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

I know it's illegal in europe. Is it in Canada too? Either way even if it's not illegal it'd look mighty silly.

Eugene
Taras

Post by Taras »

Yep, Illegal in Canada as well. Funny thing is that Audi A4 uses its fog lights as driving lights in the day. :shrug:
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mb3k

Post by mb3k »

Wow, I never knew a law existed with the fog lights in Canada.
My buddy always drives with his fogs on, I better tell him about this :laugh:
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

i knew about it.. just dont care. lol if its even a LITTLE BIT foggy.. they're on! LOL just looks too cool :D
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Good to know Taras.

However, if this is illegal, how come almost every new car made nowadays have fog lights that come on almost all the time?

I doubt you'd ever get hassled for this though as you are allowed to have two auxillary lights on with your headlights, and fog lights are ok in that matter.

Another stupid thing to note too is HID fog lights, and amazingly some high end cars have this as an option. Both blinding to other driver's (and I DO mean BLINDING) and useless in the fog.

IMO, I think the best fog light out there would be the Hella DE (not the DE Xenon - worst light ever made). It's small (2" diametre) and it has an amazing fog light pattern. Relatively cheap too.
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”