HELP!!!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: HELP!!!!

Post by 2fazed »

I've solved a similar problem in 3 different Mazdas. The problem is connecting the ground wire. You can't use the same ground wire for your stock stereo for your aftermarket stereo. I don't know why, but when I did, all 3 cars lost the dash interior, and tail lights. I know the ground and dimmer lights going to the stereo is connected to the dash lights. Check that out.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
borntorun

Post by borntorun »

thanks, ill check that out and see if that was it
borntorun

Post by borntorun »

well i tried all this...nothing. gauges, tailights, and parking lights still dont work. brake lights and headlights work...nothing else.

i have 12v power going to all the fuses in the box...so i assume its a ground problem. i tried splicing into the ground wire for the instrument cluster, and re-grounding that, but no change at all. any ideas at all? im willing to try anything :(
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Did you guys check the 40A BTN fuse in the engine bay?

Seems like both ROOM circuit (EC-AT control/illumination lights/digital clocl, interior light, audio, power door lock/key illumination) and TAIL circuit (TNS relay controlled lights, including parking lights, tail lights, 4-way blinker etc) are branched from the BTN circuit.

It's one of the non-ato ones in the engine bay near your coolant resevior...

Let me know if that's it, it not I'll sit and ponder some more.

Eugene
borntorun

Post by borntorun »

i havent checked that fuse yet *at work right now* but i dont think that would be it...follow me closely because this confuses even me..and its my problem ;)

im going to make bold what DOESNT work, and what does work, ill leave it be.

(EC-AT control/illumination lights/digital clocl, interior light, audio, power door lock/key illumination) only the illumination doesnt work on that one...clock works, illumination doesnt.

(TNS relay controlled lights, including parking lights, tail lights, 4-way blinker etc) all 4 blinkers work, so do brakes...parking lights and tail lights do not.

this is why i think its a ground problem, and not a fuse...some of the things wired to the fuses work, some dont. and im 100% positive i have power to the TAILLIGHT fuse in the fusebox under the dash...

puzzling :dunno:

<small>[ December 31, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: borntorun ]</small>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Could I bother you to do a coupple preliminary test for me? Still pondering...

Try this for me:

a) In the radio wiring, unplug/disconnect the "dimmer" one, see if that changes anything when you turn your lights on.

b) Disconnect the harness to the actual dimmer, see if that changes anything when you turn your lights on

c) Have both disconnected and see if it makes any difference

Lemme know and I'll ponder some more

Eugene
borntorun

Post by borntorun »

Originally posted by Eugene H.:
a) In the radio wiring, unplug/disconnect the "dimmer" one, see if that changes anything when you turn your lights on.

im having a hard time getting the aftermarket radio out, but im looking into that

b) Disconnect the harness to the actual dimmer, see if that changes anything when you turn your lights on

when you say dimmer, do you mean the dimmer switch thats located on the steering column...or the harness that plugs into the back of the instrument cluster.
thanks a million...this problem has me really confused, and its nice to know that someone is willing to help

<small>[ January 01, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: borntorun ]</small>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Sorry my bad.
When I said dimmer I was thinking of the turny switch that controls the brightness of the cluster lights.

Don't thank me just yet I haven't helped any at all. So far all I did was blurting things out :)

Eugene

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”