BLINKING HOLD- I KNOW BUT HELPME ON IT 1600 Series

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
madhatt99

BLINKING HOLD- I KNOW BUT HELPME ON IT 1600 Series

Post by madhatt99 »

Hey guys. Im trying to sort this out and its not going very far. I have a MX-3 1992 1.6. I have a blinking hold light problem and I cant seem to get rid of it. The car will not change gears when I get onto the highway. I thaught it was the VSS but my car doesnt have one. I just changed out the ECT sensor and the other sensor right next to it. both have something to do with the temp. This was per Mazda dealership recomendation. He said that the temp sensors might be responsible for kicking it off.

I have no clue and am getting really fustrated.. Ive been at this since October...
Thanx Guys
Madhatt99
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: BLINKING HOLD- I KNOW BUT HELPME ON IT 1600 Series

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

You say the auto trans won't change gears. This probably is causing the hold light to flash. If memory serves, when the trans. control module (TCM) detects a trouble code, the hold light will continue flashing until the trouble is corrected. Can't recall if the hold light flashes in synch with the trouble code ID but it might. Have you pulled any codes yet to ID the problem(s)?
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

My 92 RS's hold light used to blink most of the time too... then the tranny died. I replaced it with a rebuilt one and a new torque converter, and now it runs great as my daily driver. I realize that doesn't really help you at all, but I just thought I'd let you know that it can be a real warning. :shrug:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

whenever the hold light flashes in an mx-3 that means "serious problem with the transmission" this is what mazda told me...whehn was the last time it was serviced? same thing happened to me then i had it serviced runs great....just a thought
Zoom-Zoom
madhatt99

Post by madhatt99 »

I had it rebuilt before....and it ran fine for about 6 months then it started blinking again... I was told thatit blinks for an error but when we tried pulling the errors it just blinked at regular intervals - no error codes.... It totally driving over the edge....

New thing withit... when I put it in drive the damn thing stalls out... I will look into the TCM see if that might have anything to do with it... I was also told by the Mazda dealer that the thermostat sensors on the motor maybe shot.. i changed out one that was kinda coroded... the other was fine....
Thanx Guys
Madhatt99
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

If the engine starts and runs ok but stalls when put into gear there is a good possibility that the torque converter is locked up.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
madhatt99

Post by madhatt99 »

hmmmm.... the engine does run fine... we put it on the lift and you can put it in drive and it will turn the wheels but it abruptly stalls when its on the ground... would that still be the torque converter.
Thanx Guys
Madhatt99
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

That would be correct.

The millions dollar question is, and one that I dont know the answer to, is it a mechanical/hydraulic fault that this is happening (I doubt it), or is it an electronic fault (which would probably be easier to repair)? I would lean toward it being an electrical/solenoid/computer causing it to be locked up but not having a factory shop manual I cant really go any further than that. You could call around to a few tranny repair shops but I really doubt you'd get an honest answer.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
madhatt99

Post by madhatt99 »

OK after all this crap, I replaced the transmission with a 93 , removed the harness from another mx3 and the puter... myself - what a nightmare...

we installed the trans and the blinking light stopped, Im not sure what my mechanic did with the harness etc but there is no light maybe he didnt hook up the vss. I dont know. It now changes gears. The stalling problem still exists... I will recommend the solenoid thing to him and see what he says.

I loved my MX-3 now im starting to hate the lil monster.
Thanx Guys
Madhatt99
piston broke

Post by piston broke »

It would appear that a blinking light gearbox lockout is not an exception. So far it has cost me £700 [sterling] for so called experts to tell me what is not wrong. The codes suggested a solenoid problem; all three solenoids in the gearbox have been replaced to no avail. Next they [the experts] said it was the ECU, so that was changed and guess what? It still doesn't work. They cleaned this, polished that, they poked and prodded and then relieved me of my hard eared cash. This episode has confirmed to my partner [bless her cotton socks] that I am an idiot. Please help me and save my somewhat tenious marital status. Really - Piston Broke.
piston broke

Post by piston broke »

It would appear that a blinking light gearbox lockout is not an exception. So far it has cost me £700 [sterling] for so called experts to tell me what is not wrong. The codes suggested a solenoid problem; all three solenoids in the gearbox have been replaced to no avail. Next they [the experts] said it was the ECU, so that was changed and guess what? It still doesn't work. They cleaned this, polished that, they poked and prodded and then relieved me of my hard earned cash. This episode has confirmed to my partner [bless her cotton socks] that I am an idiot. Please help me and save my somewhat tenious marital status. Really - Piston Broke.

Return to “Transmissions”