Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
richocet1

Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by richocet1 »

I am having trouble with my car. I got stuck in the snow yesterday, so I kept quickly shifting from drive to reverse to get out. Today, I have had trouble accelerating. When the car is stopped, and I step on the gas, the engine revs, but the car picks up speed really slow. It feels like it is shiftly slowly. Has anyone had this problem? What do I do????
You still can't touch my car!!!
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Transmission Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

congratulations buddy you just burned your torque converter. Here it would be $400 for the part and $880 in labor charges... and thats if there are no additional repairs that need to be made. May i suggest gettin a level ten torque converter. They let you select ur stall speed and they're made to last.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

I dont think its the torque coverter. -its an internal failure of the tranny itself. since the torque converter is a fluid coupling it doesnt "burn out". i've replaced them because of lock up shudders and other lock up failures but never for slipping, thats usually the tranny clutch packs themselves. unless you had contamination that damaged the stator i would start lookin for a tranny. <p>-as for choosing the stall speed. the stock usually works the best untill you start messin with the torque curve and adding performance options. then you can tailor your stall to your curve.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

torque converter can "burn out". They have to be replaced the same way as any other hard part of the transmission. Trust me, $6000 and a level ten transmission later... i've run into plenty of t/c probs. As for the stall speed... i kept it the same as stock as well.
Shaun Newman
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

im justsayin that there is not mechanical connection between the torque converter and the engine unless you are in lock up which isnt much at all. it is possible for the converter to loose its efficiency and get spongy and cause a whole bunch of driveability probs. but slipping from a start usually isnt one of them. this winter I have replaced at least a dozen trannies at our shop because of people getting stuck in snow and trying to rock themselves out. not one converter. it is a possibility but i doubt it. <p>also why have you spent $6000 on a $500 torque converter and a auto tranny? Could have done the auto to manual swap for much less.. peace
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

i bought the car with the intention of functionality and driveability. I have a second ZE mx-3 for performance.
Shaun Newman
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

Richocet1, I had the exact problem last year in my '93 RS. What Sonicxtacy02 wrote was also exactly what was wrong and even the cost (just $120.00 cheaper).
After repairs, I spoke to the mechanic at Lee Myles Transmission about an engine swap. He told me I could keep the same tranny but to change the torque converter.<p>later,
dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Just to quote prices, I had my good ATX sapped into my SE for $350. It was gonna be $250, (6% tax included in all figures), but when removing the good tranny from the dead MX, we flubbed up the shift cable. (read - cut it, then burned it th rest of the way in half with a blowtorch, LOL) They had to take the time to get the good cable out of the bad tranny and swap it into the good tranny - more labor and some seals etc. A TC install, (less the price of the converter), really shouldn't be over $400, tops. The ATX on MX3's is actually relitively simple to drop, not counting the typical driveshaft probs youll run into, like when doing CV's - although most real shops don't have many problems in that area.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

TC's can also "burn out", in a matter of words, but that is much less likely than clutchpack failure etc. Another fun fact is upgraded TC's usually raise the heat of the fluid, which is our #1 enemy. Not saying you shouldn't get one, I want one, but just somthing to think about and make you want a tranny cooler and synthetic fluids etc. (not saying anybody here doesn't have it, just stating stuff) The stall speed on my TC will be raised slightly.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “Transmissions”