strongest auto tranny setup to fit sohc?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
marshmallow15

strongest auto tranny setup to fit sohc?

Post by marshmallow15 »

im planning to boost the sohc and wanted to have an alternative to swapping to mtx...would there be an automatic tranny out there from any cars that can withstand boost...maybe like 7-9 daily on a sohc....<p>i know mazda atx trannies are weak but im pretty sure mx6 owners and 323gtx owners didnt rebuild/replace their trannies like 4 times a year.<p>if not then can the stock mx3 tranmission (manual) handle the boost with the proper clutch/flywheel/axles? if not which mtx transmissions can handle the boost and can bolt to the b6e.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
boostedmx

Re: strongest auto tranny setup to fit sohc?

Post by boostedmx »

the protege tranny fits, you have to get the jack shaft and the axles
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by boostedmx:
the protege tranny fits, you have to get the jack shaft and the axles<hr></blockquote><p>i thought on the 1992-1993 u didn't need the pass side jack shaft
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by boostedmx:
the protege tranny fits, you have to get the jack shaft and the axles<hr></blockquote><p>did the protege lx come in the turbo awd model or is it the 2wd model?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
atila

Post by atila »

the lx was fwd has for the shaft there three size shaft in the mazda line. From experience the shaft of the precidia doesn't fit in the protege lx tranny tried it.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

The stock ATX will not handle that for too long, from just about any Mazda. I suggest if you would like to stay ATX to upgrade through www.levelten.com and/or www.protorque.com Despite popular beleife, these trannies - be them poorly designed and weak, can handle some power, if prepped and handled correctly. At the least you need a tranny cooler and synthetic fluid. A VB, (Valve Body), recalibration will cut down on wasted time between shifts as well, thus causing less heat and lengthening the life and strength of the tranny.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
62sick

Post by 62sick »

i can vouch for level ten trannys, i had the autostick in our 98 prelude rebuilt by them, it was spendy but worth it, the car has improved somewhere around a full second on zero to sixty, it shifts better and faster than it ever did, plus they built the honda one to handle 700hp and 450lb/ft of torque, for the mazda tranny in my 626 they said they can built to 450hp, well over what you can really get out of these motors (and i have a ze so i am really considering sending mine to them too). they fix all of the known problems with our trannys, including the blinking hold light. after shipping it will run you between $3400 and $3600, so be prepared but i think it is worth it for a tranny you will never have to worry about again, keep the fluid clean and put on a cooler (i also put on a magnetic inline on the prelude) and thats about it.
Boeing called they want thier wing back

Return to “Transmissions”