just blew the transmission.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
morcheeba

just blew the transmission.

Post by morcheeba »

this bites.<P>was going over a set of railroad tracks, normal speed, and then BAM. felt something give out, lost power, dead in the middle of the street. pushed it to the side of the road and everythings leaking.<P>blew the tranny, looking at 2.5-3k in repairs up here in vancouver, canada.<P>my car (1996 GS auto) has been nothing but bad luck... think i need to unload it and get a beater.<P> :(
Sinistral

Re: just blew the transmission.

Post by Sinistral »

Try to find a Mx6 auto trany!! Used..
morcheeba

Post by morcheeba »

sorry to sound dumb... are mx6 tranny's compatible, or would it be some work? i think i want to try to find used.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Yes they are... i have one myself. The tranny bolts up fine, however you'll have to change the tranny computer because you'll upgrade from a mechanical setup to an electrical. Problem is most mom and pop shops wont handle it for you.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
morcheeba

Post by morcheeba »

so why from a mx6, are they cheaper, or generally better or...?
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

better gearing, stronger internals. I would definitely also recommend a tranny cooler when you get another installed ... it'll save you tons of money in the long run
Shaun Newman
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

mazda auto trannys = trash, they go out at like 120000 miles consistently my friends just blew on his mx6. So if you have auto and a lot of miles try and sell it then buy a new mx3 trannys are sooooo expensive
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
morcheeba

Post by morcheeba »

bleah....... want to know how much mileage is on mine?<P>78,000km's<P>that's nothing! this shouldnt have happened.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

I'd say that any tranny that lasts 120000 miles is a pretty good tranny. I dont know where you pulled the number from... but unfortunately he's correct, mazda trannys do kinda suck. The mx-6 platform is buffed up to alot for 40 more hp/tq than the mx-3 engine can handle, so its definitely a viable alternative. Another option is to have your current internals strengthened. Steve Hopf(?) aka mazdaspeed steve still has is original tranny which has been beefed up to run a KL-ZE. When i swap my Auto GS, i'm going to leave the mx-6 tranny as is to see if it can handle the ZE without pricy mods.
Shaun Newman
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

The first year and a half I had my MX-3 I had lots of automatic transmission problems. The tranny that came with the car blew only like 4 months after I bought it, it was replaced and then again that one blew 6 months later. I did have a minor issue with the torque converted later that year but something just needed to be adjusted and it was fine.<P>So for the past 2 years or so my current transmission has stood up to all my driving and I haven't had any problems with it. *crosses fingers* hopefully it will continue to be fine still for a long while. I am not sure why this transmission has lasted so long though, I am not abusive with it but I don't mother it all the time either, I've changed the fluid only once in it, I should probably check the fluid in it again though soon because its been a while.
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Shaun I wish I had a ZE, I have a somewhat beefed up kl03, and I have a brand new tranny that only has about 35000kms on it. I put a tranny cooler on it after 20000kms and have top notch fluid in it!<BR>Kevin Gettens is the one with the auto ZE.<BR>But if the time comes to replace an auto tranny, deffinately get the MX-6, it will need some ecu work but it's worth it.<BR>Shaun your tranny WILL handle a ZE, but it wouldn't hurt to install a tranny cooler ;)
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
ausDriver

Post by ausDriver »

Guys, you have me a little concerned. My car has travelled 200k already and my standard ATX seems to be running fine. The thing is that i'm not sure what the gear shift should feel like, so i'm assuming its all ok. Should the shifting be very smooth, i.e no jerking during shifts?
beyonddave

Post by beyonddave »

Michelle I think you should give the guys at Street imports (http://www.streetimports.com/homepage.htm) a call. I got a tranny from them for about $900 canadian shipped. They get them from low mileage doners in Japan. The one I got works great. Trust me I shopped around and they seem to have the lowest prices around. Good luck. :cool:
Q187

Post by Q187 »

If anyone wants to do an Auto to 5 speed conversion, I have all parts necessary for sale. Contact me at quaz187@yahoo.com.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Q187:
If anyone wants to do an Auto to 5 speed conversion, I have all parts necessary for sale. Contact me at quaz187@yahoo.com.<hr></blockquote><p>is this for the rs or the gs?<p>another question guys....would a mx6 or pro lx transmission handle a boosted sohc? when i boost my sohc, i want to swap to manual but if there's an atx that can handle maybe 6-9lbs. daily id like to just get that instead then. maybe handle even more boost when i up the fuel, tuning, and internals.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “Transmissions”