Headlight probs

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Devlin

Headlight probs

Post by Devlin »

I found myself in Peterborough today 'round 10:30 ready to head home and noticed that my low beams were dead.
My daytime runners work fine, and I made it home using my highs (i actually don't think anyone on the road noticed, no1 flashed at me), but when i switch to low beams, its just dead.
About a year ago I put in those Xenon-look superwhites and havn't had any problems, and since both went at the same time, is it safe to assume its a fuse? and would it be a fuse in the box in the dash or engine compartment? I havn't done any testing on the fuses yet cuz its like almost midnight and i just got home, so i'll check in the morning, just wanna know where to check first.

Thx
AKA Deimos
David Witherow

Re: Headlight probs

Post by David Witherow »

chances are that the bulbs just went around the same time i had this happen one went ant the other went about ten minutes later.....
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The headlight fuse is under the bonnet but I think you'll find it protects both low and high beams so its unlikely to be that.

The bulbs are obviously the easiest place to start, then it could be a relay or the switch.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

lol, bonnet..... But ya it's probably the bulbs. I had a pair of those 9004 superwhite whatevers and had one pair last 2months, then the next two days. Then I used OEM and have never had a problem - going on a year and a half.
just my experience :)

I keep an extra set of bulbs in the glove box when on long trips. Sucks when your heading home through a snow storm and your light go out.......

<small>[ September 22, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Typhoonk ]</small>
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

I had them too, those hyper-whites are good for ..., but 99.9% its just your bulbs cuz they are super crap. I suggest either getting new ones or just getting a set of HIDs for your car. :2thumbsup:
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

lol, bonnet.....
Seesh, next thing you'll laugh when I talk about the boot :)
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Ya, it was the bulbs...put the old ones back in and its fine now....but now its yellow again.
Is there any GOOD white ones out there that aren't too expensive?
AKA Deimos
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I use the Hella "XDX1260/55BL H4 Premium Xenon - 50% Brighter White Light" and haven't had any problems. Don't know what the catalog number would be over there though. The light output is good. I did try some others but had the same problem of them blowing.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Grants:
I use the Hella "XDX1260/55BL H4 Premium Xenon - 50% Brighter White Light" and haven't had any problems. Don't know what the catalog number would be over there though.
I'm curious, do you have glass or plastic headlamp lenses?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I have glass but the globes are UV Cut so are ok for plastic as well.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Ok, my headlights r doing fine (i think i'm gonna just pick up a set of superwhites from crappy tire though), but now apparently both my reverse lights are dead. Dunno exactly when it happened, but i just put my subs back in (and how i have it designed for now, the wires in the trunk are pretty much exposed to whatever is in the trunk). Would this also b just the bulbs, or is there a wire somewhere that may have come loose? (my brake, signal, and rear lights all work fine).
AKA Deimos

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”