Need HELP badly!!!

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Sinfulone

Need HELP badly!!!

Post by Sinfulone »

Hi guys been a long time since i've been out here. This year has been hell, but anyways. I thought i would ask here since u guys always seem to have answers.

I was sitting in my ride the other day while it was running and for no apparent reason the car shut off. When i tried to restart the engine it would'nt kick over. Now one of my boys told me that he thinks it's my distributer cap. My question is this before i spend money getting it towed.

Does anyone know how much to replace it might cost me and if that sounds fesible as being the problem. Oh if someone knows of someone that could do this for a good price i would appreciate hearing from you.

I have very little cash right now due to my ex..grrrr anyways thx in advance if someone can help me out. I really need to get back on the road, I need the ride to pick up my kids so it's of upmost importance.

A
Pearl-JapSpec

Re: Need HELP badly!!!

Post by Pearl-JapSpec »

a distributor "cap" is really cheap like $20. if thats the problem.
now ifs it your distributor thats a lil more pricey like $150-200 just for the part.
i kno i replaced mine aswell...
Car Out Of Order For Now...
2 weeks In counting till re-incarnation!!
New G-Force Front Bumper!!
-_-_-_- Pics On Site -_-_-_-
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3_junkee
endocyc

Post by endocyc »

I highly doubt its your distributer, they usually die off with some sign. altanator could have died, or just a wire fell off the charging system or even the battery could have seen its life.
start with the easiest possabilaties to test and go from there.
Sinfulone

Post by Sinfulone »

Thx for the reply guys, Pearl where did you get the part. When i spoke with the dealer he told me the part was just under $700.00 can they be marking it up that much?

I don't believe it's my battery i just replaced it last year. I was of the understanding that if it was the alternator i would hear nothing when i tured the key? Do you guys know of anyone who does work on the side for cash?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by Pearl-JapSpec:
a distributor "cap" is really cheap like $20. if thats the problem.
now ifs it your distributor thats a lil more pricey like $150-200 just for the part.
i kno i replaced mine aswell...
Dude! I replaced my cap a few months ago and it cost me like $60!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Pearl-JapSpec

Post by Pearl-JapSpec »

the stupid petro canada shop up the street quoted me almost $800 but my uncles friend works at a parts shop dealing with insurance claims so he gets it dirt cheap i think it was a lil over $200. and my mechanic charged me $80 for the install ha.
but b4 i figured that i changed my cap + rotor and coil.
Eat that petro cananda

<small>[ August 19, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Pearl-JapSpec ]</small>
Car Out Of Order For Now...
2 weeks In counting till re-incarnation!!
New G-Force Front Bumper!!
-_-_-_- Pics On Site -_-_-_-
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3_junkee
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

Originally posted by Pearl-JapSpec:
the stupid petro canada shop up the street quoted me almost $800 but my uncles friend works at a parts shop dealing with insurance claims so he gets it dirt cheap i think it was a lil over $200. and my mechanic charged me $80 for the install ha.
but b4 i figured that i changed my cap + rotor and coil.
Eat that petro cananda
Well that's great...but most of us here don't have uncles working at various parts shops to get us distributors for 150-200 bucks.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

$60 for a cap? where'd you get that? I got mine at a local parts store and it was $17.99 (canadian).
As for the actual distributor - I think the junkyards around here let em go for $250 for the 4cycl and $400 for the 6cycl.

check this out ->
they have a mx-3 with a 2.5L in there database
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/rpmdistributors-mazda.html
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

Buddy, if you mention what model car you have, I think it would be alot easier to help you out in this matter. I just checked on www.car-parts.com and distributer start at 150$-200$ for a decent one. but since you didnt mention a year and engine type, I can't really help you out. :D
Sinfulone

Post by Sinfulone »

K peeps, sorry for the late response my internet at home is temp. off line. So i gotta use the p.c. at the office. My car is a 93 gs. 6 cylinder anything else i don't know apart from how to drive it...lol

I ran a test on the cap last night with one of my boys (not sure if we did it right) but we did'nt get any sparks so i'm assuming it's the cap.

What i don't get is some people keep telling me it's around 15-20 bucks and some keep quoting 200 to 300. Anyways i'm taking it Sat. so i guess i'll know soon enough.
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

If it is your distributor, you need to replace the whole thing,(cap/rotor/ignitor module) which I just did and it cost $569.00 from Mazda.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”